Featured Green Glass beads - light up under blacklight ... are these uranium glass?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by evelyb30, Jan 1, 2019.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I know the really radioactive uranium glass tends to be old, and these are probably Depression era. The glass glows bright green under blacklight; I don't think I can get a picture of that unfortunately, but they'd be the best thing ever at a rave. (if anyone goes to raves any more) They were just restrung, so the cord is in good shape know and they've been hand-knotted for good measure. Currently their baggie resides in a seriously old pewter coffee pot, just in case, since the old pewter had a high lead content. DSCF0651bitty.jpg DSCF0633bitty.jpg

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Just wondering why you would bother? The radiation that uranium glass emits is infinitesimal. Humans are subjected to much more radiation in their daily lives than uranium glass can ever give off.

https://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/these-people-love-to-collect-radioactive-glass/

That said, they're lovely!

judy, kyratango, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  3. evelyb30

That's what I figure, but it couldn't hurt. Besides, I needed a good excuse to keep the coffee pot around.

judy, antidiem, bluumz and 2 others like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

It depends on when it was made,the uranium at 2% isn't worth worrying about but some of it was made with 20%................. https://www.gemsociety.org/article/is-uranium-glass-safe-to-facet/

judy, Any Jewelry and antidiem like this.
  5. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think those cut crystal beads are earlier than the 30s.

judy and antidiem like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

antidiem and aaroncab like this.
  7. evelyb30

IOW sometimes paranoids have enemies. These probably aren't a problem, but....

bluumz likes this.
  8. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

what you are showing is the natural color, right?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    judy likes this.
  9. evelyb30

Yep - I'm not sure I could get one under blacklight. Might be worth a shot I guess.

judy likes this.
  10. evelyb30

It's a little blurry, but you can see the color.
    DSCF0654bitty.jpg

KSW and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted