Green Glass Mushroom - who dunnit?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by moreotherstuff, Oct 1, 2014.

1. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Anyone know who did this or when? About 4” tall and 5 ½” across the cap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

There was a great post a few years ago on the old, old, old eBay board. It compared all the art glass mushrooms by the veins under the cap, polished bottom, pontils, etc. and matched them with the glassmaker. Unfortunately, I was unable to find the post, or the site it linked with all the info.

If I'm remembering correctly, fine veins + flat, polished bottom = Viking.

http://www.vikingartglass.com/list.php?cat=11

The color looks right to me for Viking, as well.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I agree Viking probably the next to largest size. Late 1960's

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I found some other sites online and think Viking looks very good. I've double checked my measurements, which vary slightly from one site I looked at - mine is not quite so wide but a little bit taller. I don't know how much variation there would be in size, the next smallest seems to be notably smaller. I think this is the 'Jumbo'.

Thanks. Initially, I didn't think this was worth asking about. Hope I was wrong.

5. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The large one is 4" by 6" unfortunately the Viking ad does not say if the 4" is height or width.I am thinking heighthbut??

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

One collector's site says 5 3/4" across and 3 1/2" high for the jumbo, so I'm guessing there is a range of allowable variation in dimensions. I'm thinking the 4" by 6" is nominal.

7. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

8. desperate_fun

desperate_fun Irregular Member

Bob,

I'm a little late to the show but here is a pic of some Mushrooms I had recently.

viking1.jpg

9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The one on the right is by a different company? Is it glass or ceramic?

10. desperate_fun

Bob,

The one on the right was some kind stone carved thing. I was more interested in showing you the Viking with label.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Thanks. I sure wish mine had a label. But, you know, if it had a label someone else would have bought it before I ever saw it.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  12. desperate_fun

I actually got these on Ebay. It was a lot of 4 Mushrooms. This is the one I was after in the lot. (The one on the left, another Chalet mushroom to go with the Amber one) Mushroom1.jpg

13. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I've never seen a Chalet mushroom. Didn't know they made them. I always look for Chalet glass, but seldom find any. It used to be plentiful. Now, even if it looks like Chalet, I'm disinclined to purchase unless it's signed (or I'm certain).

I bought the mushroom I asked about because I thought it looked cool, but it was a chancy purchase. I was hoping it weighed less than a kilo, but it weighs more, which puts the shipping cost over the moon. Without knowing who did it, it became a 'faint hope' listing, most likely to be killed by the shipping cost. It is currently listed and has a bid and I believe that is thanks to the ID I got here. So thanks again. Maybe it would have sold anyhow (I asked because it had a suspicious number of watchers), but knowing who did it makes a difference.

14. desperate_fun

Bob,

I think I sold all 3 of mine locally for $25.00

Chalet also made some Egg paperweights. If you ever see one, grab it. You will get pretty good money for it. I recall seeing at least 4 different ones

paperweight.jpg

15. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I had this signed Chalet paperweight. It sold, but I don't recall the price as being anything special.

[​IMG]

I also had this strange bird paperweight that I thought was likely Chalet. It wasn't signed, so I didn't list it as such. I don't remember if it sold or not.

[​IMG]

16. desperate_fun

I love that paperweight. The Owl might be Lorraine.

Draft saved Draft deleted