Featured Green Satin? Glass Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Pat P, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I inherited this vase almost 20 years ago. I don't know when my mother purchased it, but think it's probably between 30 and 60 years old.

The vase is about 4" high and is unmarked. Is it satin glass? Is it common generic glassware or collectible? If collectible, does anyone know the maker and decade when it was made?

All thoughts very welcome... :)

GreenVase01.jpg GreenVase02.jpg GreenVase03.jpg GreenVase04.jpg GreenVase05.jpg

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

It’s very pretty, Pat!
    I hope someone knows about it. :)

scoutshouse, Pat P and judy like this.
  3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

The glass has a satin finish on the outside(the inside looks shinny). To me the color says probably the 1970s. It is mold blown most likely for the florist trade. Sentimental value is like higher than dollar. I would use it for short stemmed flowers or set it on a window sill for a spot of color.

scoutshouse, kyratango, judy and 4 others like this.
  4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks, INH!

Thanks, George. It's actually a relief to know it's nothing special... one less item to worry about how I'm storing it, whether or not and how to list it, etc. :)

Yes, it is shiny on the inside. Is what's usually called "satin glass" satin on all surfaces?

scoutshouse, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is pretty. Would go nicely with Jadite I think.

6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

No.
    Although this has a satin application to it, it is not the satin glass of old.

I'm not good with how they made things like @George Nesmith is. I do believe the old glass was done with an acid wash of some kind.
    The stuff from the seventies was applied.

7. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

So the satin effect is always a surface treatment and never a property of the glass throughout?

scoutshouse, judy and i need help like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Yes, I would say so.

scoutshouse, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  9. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Pat.:)

10. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Just a short hand for a surface that has been dulled with acid most likely the fumes rather than a direct application.

11. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, George. I didn't realize that fumes alone could have that strong an effect on glass.

12. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

13. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Wow, TallCakes, with all the vases on eBay I'm amazed you found that. Thanks!

I'm not familiar with fired-on color, but looking through a loupe and in front of a strong light, it looks quite possible.

The sides are pretty opaque, but the bottom is translucent. And the outer part of the bottom is semi-transparent. Under the loupe, the color looks slightly speckled plus the bottom has small circular indentations that look like they could be burst air bubbles. So maybe the color was sprayed on?

14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Most fired on glass items I have come into contact with had some loss of color. It happens when the color rubs off from storage or usage.

I am not an authority by any means so take what I say with a grain of salt. Not sure if the ebay listing is accurate or not with calling it fired on.

15. TallCakes

the 2nd image appears to show some tiny bits of color loss on the edge.

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

You're right... I need new glasses and hadn't even noticed it. under a loupe, I can see that there is a bit of color loss on the outside near the edge. The edge is less opaque, so the damage is showing through to the inside in the photo. Those spots look the way a painted surface looks when some of the paint has been chipped off.

In my next to last photo, you can see the tiny circular indentations in the central 10 o'clock position.

scoutshouse likes this.
  17. TallCakes

18. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

TallCakes, thanks so much for identifying the maker and name! Much appreciated! :)

19. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I think the "fired on" is similar to flashing, right?

20. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Pat P likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted