Featured Green Stone ID

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Oct 26, 2022.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

This stone is in a nice Mexican setting. I had it ID’d I believe but my phone decided to give up the ghost overnight. Working fine as I went to bed. Woke up feeling abnormally well rested only to realize my alarm should have gone off hours ago. My phone totally ceased to work forever while charging overnight. I had a screenshot of my findings. I don’t cloud my photos though and hadn’t backed them up in a while.

Anyway it’s a pale green that shows up as more grayish black depending on light. I tried to capture its greener side here. Can’t re-find whenever I finally ID’d it. 22A5335E-4EA8-4ED9-9208-FBA5EDCF8F03.jpeg 766DA26E-6454-472B-BA31-5A2A4DFF6310.jpeg

KSW, Aquitaine, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

KSW and J Dagger like this.
  3. J Dagger

Thanks so much. It does look jade like and it does resemble those pieces but I believe I found it was something by a different name.

KSW and Roaring20s like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I had the same stone in a 70's Mexican fake tooth pendant....
    it's still here...but I can't say exactly where.......
    and I never knew what stone it was ...:inpain:

J Dagger likes this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Possibly Mexican obsidian.

6. J Dagger

Dag nabbit I think you got it. Now I don’t know if I found it with a scientific name or found something else similar or what. I’m pretty sure this isn’t what I found but it sure looks like it. Btw if you google just Mexican obsidian it’s amazing the varieties and colors it comes in. Unbelievably beautiful stuff. D89EF88E-9EDA-49E3-8E94-8692FD664025.jpeg AC13EE29-FD3B-46B9-B412-93D4ECFACA84.jpeg 44F5265F-0C9D-4A9D-B49F-FB9063DC4858.jpeg

edit: the variety in my piece is Mexican “gold” or “gold sheen” obsidian.

Roaring20s likes this.
  7. J Dagger

Can’t say I’ve ever heard of one of those! Thanks to hollyblue I think we have an answer. It’s a beautiful stone but I don’t know how great of a choice for jewelry it is. It often looks very dull. It isn’t until the light hits it just right that the green comes out and even then it’s very, very muted. If you’re looking for an understated sleeper stone I guess this is it. Maybe if you’re in the sun a lot. It’s pretty I just think a lot of the time people would see it and think “eh”. There’s something to be said for flying under the radar I suppose.

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

mine looked dark grey....until it was in the light......then it shimmered...

J Dagger likes this.
  9. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

When we lived in Oregon,Glass butte had obsidian you could pick up off the ground.We could fill a 5 gallon bucket with rainbow,mahogany,silver sheen in a couple of hours.
    https://oregondiscovery.com/glass-butte

J Dagger and laura9797 like this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

WHat type of phone was it?

J Dagger likes this.
  11. J Dagger

Ditto.

komokwa likes this.
  12. J Dagger

That’s so cool! I would have loved that. When I was 5-6 my pal and I spent every single day after school looking at and then smashing rocks to see what the inside looked like. I’ve loved rocks my whole life. 15 or so years after that the practice came in handy. Was walking a river in Indiana full of spherical stones. I had never seen any like them in the northeast. Smashed one to realize they were all geodes. A whole dang ton of them. I wish I had shipped a few home to myself and cut them properly. It was a neat discovery. Obsidian specimens actually sell well if you have any 5 gallon buckets full still :). I have a couple pieces of mahogany. It’s a lovely stone. The rainbow is unreal looking.

komokwa likes this.
  13. J Dagger

Older iPhone. It was in rough shape. Screen broken in several areas and bowed out. Charging jack and battery in poor condition. So it wasn’t a total shock but working before bed and dead on waking up was odd.

14. Ownedbybear

I've had that and there's a hack to get them going again if you want to try and retrieve anything.

15. J Dagger

I very much do!! My hack was smacking it hard and throwing it into a soft chair a few times.

komokwa likes this.
  16. Ownedbybear

You could try a forced restart on it to begin with. Press Home and keep it pressed, then press the Sleep/wake button. Keep those held till you see the Apple logo. Might take a few goes, but it can work.

Draft saved Draft deleted