Greetings All

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Revenant, Feb 12, 2024.

1. Revenant

Revenant Not as Active Anymore

Been lurking and reading and finally decided to join the group!
    I am looking forward to learning some history from all of you, as well as sharing some of mine.
    A short personal bio:
    Currently living in The Woodlands, TX. Two grown kids, one of which has my love for all things old. I'm in my mid 60s and am an only child that has been handed down 3 or 4 generations of family belongings from a long history in PA and NY. Overwhelming amounts of things passed down, some personally valuable, many monetarily.
    I sorted and reduced the amount of stuff when I had to move my mother (an avid lover of all things early American) to TX to take care of her - sorted it again when she passed away 5 years ago, and am facing the need to reduce the amount of items again before I downsize my living arrangement.
    I hope to pick the brains of you knowledgeable folks about the process of getting some things appraised, feedback on ways to list some things for sale and general opinions on dealing with the whole act of "letting go" of stuff that had importance to family.

Sorry for the long intro. I will continue to poke around the different parts of the forums, so please bear with me.

Hope to have a great experience getting to know some of you!

judy, Any Jewelry, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Welcome!

judy and Revenant like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Welcome. You're running into what a lot of others are too. Some of it has to go, but a lot of the current and former dealers in here watch for people like you who have sales without asking first. We buy the mistakes!

4. Revenant

Haha I bet! I have tried to research some stuff online and look up things, but some stuff isn't always easy to find. That's why I'm here! The braintrust can be be way better than google image search.
    Are there any members from Texas here?

judy likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

greetings..

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

We're literally global. If it's Texas-specific we may have to do a little good guessing.

judy likes this.
  7. Revenant

Oh not anything Texas specific, just curious if any members were in my area.
    There are some large "antique marts" near me, but nothing like I used to enjoy back in New England and Penna.

judy and komokwa like this.
  8. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    I can't wait till you start posting things! Early American things from New York and Pennsylvania. Woohoo!

9. Revenant

Thanks Laura, I really don't know where to start. May just make a general thread with a sampling of different stuff. It overwhelms me when I start to really think about it all.
    Can't wait to share!

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  10. komokwa

May just make a general thread with a sampling of different stuff.

fun yes......but that will drive us mad.....:eek:

Please......please try to contain the proper items..in the proper Forums.....

help us.....to help you !!!

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Good suggestion above because you'll want to make sure the right people see the right items.

Debora

Revenant and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  12. Revenant

OK sounds like a plan! Thank you.

judy, komokwa and Debora like this.
  13. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings!

14. Revenant

Quick question - is this site user friendly on an android mobile? I've been on my laptop today, but my picture postings will be from my phone probably.

judy likes this.
  15. komokwa

You might want to copy and save this for reference for a while....it helps when you're new!!!:rolleyes:

For Future reference, when posting images:

Each image MUST be UNDER 1 MB....
    There are instructions on site here on how to reduce the size of your image, if that is the problem......you are allowed up to 10 images per post!!! Here are some links to the instructions:

Try emailing them to yourself as "medium" size, they should then be under 1 MB!

If on the computer:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

If on an iPhone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

And if on an Android phone:
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

As an added note, when you have your photos LISTED, BUT BEFORE you hit POST, please click on the wording that says to "INSERT EVERY IMAGE AS FULL IMAGE" !! That way, we're not clicking on little thumbnails, but get to see all of the images full sized!! Thanks! Remember, it takes a bit for MOST new members to get the hang of it, but it's really quite simple once you get used to it!!!" If you still have questions, DON'T hesitate to ASK!!!!

judy, Any Jewelry and Revenant like this.
  16. Revenant

Appreciate this heads-up. This resizing thing seems to be stopping me before I get started. I don't use email on the phone so I'm going to step back and figure out how to take up less space!

judy and komokwa like this.
  17. komokwa

remember it's file size - 1MB....not resolution 1200 x 600....

18. Revenant

OK let's see...
    some of today's sorting.

Dining 2.jpg

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  19. komokwa

so far , so good....... the pumpkin is cute !!

judy likes this.
  20. komokwa

try to shoot your items on a neutral.....black / white background......
    makes it easier for google lens !!
    and show all the bases...and marks....even if u don't think they say much....;)

judy, Revenant and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted