!! Greetings with a question!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Tc7447, May 20, 2020.

1. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree with Cheryl. It's not for coffee.

I may have led to the confusion by posting the bit about the spouts. For which I apologize.
    I got myself confused. I'm going to blame it on the 100 degree heat that we have had for the last couple of days (which I love, but it messes with my brain). Sorry.

Believe what Cheryl has told you.
    It is an ice water urn.

kyratango and Darkwing Manor like this.
  2. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I just went through all the holloware resources I could find and nowhere do I see any coffee urns that do not have the burner underneath. Coffee POTS, yes. Could it have happened? Maybe. Would the designer have put icicles and skating scenes on a coffee urn? Probably not. Tc, I just had a thought..perhaps you could reply to Reed and Barton requesting images of the documents they found which led them to identify it as a coffee urn. Good luck!

Figtree3 and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Ah that was what I was after this morning. Thank you.
    Now you have 3 definites on an Ice Urn.

kyratango and Darkwing Manor like this.
  4. Tc7447

Tc7447 Member

Cheryl, thanks.
    Your description of the icy scenery certainly jogged me. I agree with you that it is for something cold. The three holes on the bottom of the inner chamber, I would think are for drainage of condensation. That being said, yes agreed.
    Maybe my hopes are too high, but I was hoping to find an illustration that showed exactly, my cold drink dispenser.
    So again, thank you all for helping me with my search. If I ever do find what I'm looking for, I will certainly post it here.
    Best,
    Tommy C

5. Tc7447

Tc7447 Member

Dark, Cluttered, Dragonfly...thank you all!!

6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I understand your frustration. According to the Rainwaters, R&B offered 51 different styles of water pitchers in their peak year, 1885. So, you have your work cut out for you! If you do ever find it, we'll have to come up with a Tenacity Award for you!

7. Tc7447

Tc7447 Member

8. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

That is really Neat @Tc7447 ! Though not a Samovar, it reminds me of my Late friend Mrs. Smythe who did have a samovar and would make tea for us kids in it on special rainy winter afternoons ....she passed at 86 when I was 16, wonderful woman who let us kids roam her house that was like a museum full of Native American and Chinese antiques and a full collection of National Geographic's back to 1898..... Wouldn't be nice if that Ice water urn could talk ...what stories it would have !!!!

Darkwing Manor and kyratango like this.
  9. Tc7447

Tc7447 Member

Yes, I often think of that.
    I don't know when or how this got into my family as those who do are no longer.
    Knowing them and the way they celebrated, I'm sure there's stories!

Firemandk likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted