Featured Grumpy pony vase!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KSW, Apr 18, 2021.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

This was in a box of 50p junk at a car boot sale. I only picked it out because it looks like it has a silver rim and despite my avatar the sour looking pony doesn’t really do it for me!.
    It’s a bit of a conundrum to me as the vase doesn’t look particularly quality and isn’t marked but then why bother to put a hallmarked silver rim on it?
    I thought it would be an easy ID and it rings a bell with me that I vaguely recognise it but I can’t find anything similar on the net.
    I did wonder if it was one of those pretend hallmarks as found on silver plate but although the silver is pretty mangled I think the middle stamp is the lion. The P is very clear and there is a separately less well stamped D off to the left. Possibly the right hand stamp is an anchor but it’s not clear. Please can anyone help?
    Thankyou for looking :)
    Edited to add, I’ve run out of acid to test it but it polishes like silver.
    87FD7590-101B-4187-BD2C-477759099C71.jpeg FF8425A0-2E6B-46F7-98AE-1452713C21F7.jpeg 78B455BC-DA3E-4BD6-8B99-C782733C2A23.jpeg 7BE1D910-D1D5-40D9-9842-2F69F3D83AA5.jpeg 8525FEF3-5857-4400-A563-0E3152B6CBF8.jpeg D39692C3-7C1E-4ADC-9E6F-9C33E72F60EF.jpeg CA001F01-A15A-4CAD-9B0C-1E8CBF6370FA.jpeg FD7669C6-A41E-4125-9ABA-FE0DFE6C0CB9.jpeg

judy, Firemandk, Lucille.b and 4 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The P is real - either 1890 or 1910, I think.

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou. That’s older than I thought!

judy, Lucille.b and TraceyB like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The right hand stamp is the leopard head.

judy, Lucille.b, TraceyB and 2 others like this.
  5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ah, ok, I see that now :pompous:. Thankyou

Lucille.b and TraceyB like this.
  6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

It's not uncommon for people to take a silver rim from something broken and put it on something else, so that could also be a possibility.

judy, Lucille.b, Any Jewelry and 3 others like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

It did occur to me that was a possibility although there aren’t any joins in the silver and it fits very closely so,if so, it’s come from something exactly the same size. The top is so beaten, maybe that’s why it fits closely!:hilarious:

judy, Lucille.b and TraceyB like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Silver was very cheap when this was done. Often used to give a bit of class. ;)

judy, KSW, Lucille.b and 1 other person like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s good as we need that around here :hilarious:
    Not much to go on is an understatement! They obviously have as little clue as I do about it but I’m very impressed you found something similar as I found absolutely nothing!.
    Thankyou for looking. It will go into the unsolved pile for the moment!.

11. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

KSW, I just wanted to thank you for the "grumpy pony" description. For some reason it really put a smile on my face this morning, lol. Love it.

12. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Ah, that’s good. It’s a good day when you can make someone smile :)
    @i need help, interesting that they think that one is hand painted as I thought it was transferred but maybe not?

judy and i need help like this.
  13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’m not sure about transfer or handpainted, someone else would know better. It does have a silver rim, though.

judy and KSW like this.
  14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Often it's a combination of hand painting and transfers. Without being able to examine it in hand I would guess the pony is transfer and the background is hand painted. If you can look at the pony with a magnifying glass you may see the image is composed of little dots. That's a sign of a transfer.

The little vase INH found reminds me of Royal Bayreuth although if it was Royal Bayreuth I would expect it to be marked. RB used silver collars on some items. I would guess German on KSW's vase too despite the leopard's head. Sometimes, I think, a vase was sold by one company for the silver to be applied by another. I'm sorry I don't have a reference for that last sentence.
    Don

judy, Figtree3 and KSW like this.
  15. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

When I first read the title I wondered if it was from Japan because there are so many perturbed and pissed faces of animals on ceramics from there! I love them for that :hilarious:

16. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

I will do :)

Having Googled I can definitely see the similarities.

That makes sense.

Lol, I may have just found another Avenue of collecting to follow :hilarious:

judy, Figtree3, dgbjwc and 1 other person like this.
  17. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

I may have to join you :woot:

18. Caro Tinley

Caro Tinley Member

I have a little vase must be made by the same maker with the pony. I havent discovered how to add photos so cant put it up. it stands 11 cms, has the same deep blue bottom half with gilded design although mine is very worn. Mine looks like highland cattle and is definately a transfer. The background trees appear to me as if they have been sprayed on? rather than applied with a brush. No silver rim. Mine has blue markings underneath on the base but too indistinct to see if they are really markings. Also impressed numbers under the glaze 6019 but I may be reading it incorrectly.

KSW likes this.
  19. Caro Tinley

Caro Tinley Member

cattle vase 2e.jpg I hope I have done the image correctly

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2021
    KSW likes this.
  20. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Caro!

YOu did it!

Just one thing.......next time choose Full Image so photos can be seen better.:cat:

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted