Featured Gunner F. J. Mears (1890-1929) Ypres Research

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Daryl Yeates, Apr 18, 2020.

1. Daryl Yeates

Daryl Yeates Playing at being an 'antique dealer'

Please note:
    I am submitting this to 'Military' as opposed to artwork as I believe the research may be more relevant here.
    Please move if required. Thank you.

I have been fortunate enough to have just purchased a pair of original F.J. Mears watercolours.
    The research of this fascinating soldier has been amazing. I have really enjoyed passing hours finding out so much about his past.
    I am beaten though in finding the location mentioned within the title of one of the paintings. I can see that the final word is Ypres, that battle being a truly horrific experience for those poor soldiers.
    I have studied so many battle maps for detail but I'm just not recognizing anything. That said, I have been pleasantly surprised just how much information is available online! Please see the images below. I have played with the images to try and make it clearer.
    Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you all, in advance.
    Daryl
    Mears1.jpg FJ Mears detail 2.jpg FJ Mears detail 1.jpg FJ Mears detail 3.jpg FJ Mears detail 4.jpg

Figtree3, lovewrens, SBSVC and 4 others like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

My maternal grandfather was badly wounded at Ypres 6 weeks after joining up aged 18
    Most of his regiment were wiped out, he was one of the lucky ones.
    He lived until the ripe old age of 94.

3. Daryl Yeates

Hello Dave
    Thank you for your message. I had of course heard of Ypres but I have been really shocked at the detail I have unearthed. I loved these pictures when I first saw them. To me they are not 'great' works of art but a mans vision of it. I've seen many of his other works in my research all with the same impact.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I can't help with the paintings as art is not my thing.

There was a very good movie came out in 2013 called "The Wipers Times"

Our guys pronounced Ypres - Wipers.

WWI story of Captain Fred Roberts who found a printing press in the ruins of Ypres and started publishing the satirical journal, `The Wipers Times', that went on to become a huge success.

SBSVC, scoutshouse and Daryl Yeates like this.
  5. Daryl Yeates

Looks good, thanks for that. I'll be watching it tonight!
    Re the picture I think that perhaps only somebody with a detailed knowledge of the battle may just recognize the words which I am guessing, from the titles of the other pictures will refer to the location.

scoutshouse likes this.
  6. Daryl Yeates

I should add that Mears always signed & titled his pictures upside-down. He is reported to have said “The whole world is upside down. Why should my signature be the right way up?”

Figtree3 and scoutshouse like this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I love the painting you showed, and completely agree with your assessment.

Very cool view point!

Daryl Yeates and scoutshouse like this.
  8. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Hope this is right side up :)

downloadfile_1587218490161.jpg

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

upload_2020-4-18_8-13-42.png
    the letters above, are what might be.
    The letters below, you have probably already figured out.

Daryl Yeates likes this.
  10. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

last bit say Chateau maybe?

Daryl Yeates likes this.
  11. Daryl Yeates

Yes, That new edited image has helped, thank you

scoutshouse likes this.
  12. Daryl Yeates

It's all looking helpful... so near and yet so far! Thanks to all.

scoutshouse likes this.
  13. Daryl Yeates

I keep looking to all the battlefield maps hoping a place name will jump out at me...
    Out of interest I attach a copy of the other picture I purchased. It's not such a clear picture, I've enhanced it which shows the details better. I can only imagine the horror that it was. FJ Mears(a).jpg FJ Mears(b).jpg

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

We have brought our youth basketball team to Ypres on every trip. In 2017 they were invited to lay a wreath at the Menin Gate which is a huge honor. In 2018 my son went with my then twelve year old grandson to be there for the 1918-2018 commemoration. In Belgium they made 600,000 small figures representing soldiers who died and our friends helped set them out for the commemoration. They sent us one. My son said it was a truly awesome sight.

43493945_401.jpg DSCN0602.JPG Memorial.jpg

SBSVC and Daryl Yeates like this.
  15. Daryl Yeates

Very moving to consider what it was like, we owe them all.

16. Daryl Yeates

Cracked it I believe!
    Thank you for your lead 'blooey'
    The title reads 'The White Chateau'
    It was Haig's HQ during The First battle - Ypres.
    White Chateau, also called Bayernschloss, or Chateau Mahieu, an impressive white castle about 1.5 km west of the Canal.
    It was where now the Palingbeek Golf Course is.

Figtree3 and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  17. Daryl Yeates

18. Daryl Yeates

Your direction of revealing 'The' took me down a different direction.
    With 'The' & 'Chateau' I was there.... thank you.

clutteredcloset49 and Figtree3 like this.
  19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I can see why you wanted these and are interested. The images are very moving.

In a different thread in the Art forum I learned of a site called retroreveal that can help in distinguishing signatures on artwork, print on various documents and stamps, etc. I just created an account there and used the clip of the title above (posted by @scoutshouse )to see how it works to reveal the title of the picture.

I made the results public, if you'd like to see them. Of course you already have figured out the title but thought I would show this. I'm going to use this site frequently. Scroll down to see various black and white versions. Some show the words more clearly.

http://retroreveal.org/images/ss/47355

Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
  20. Daryl Yeates

Thank you for your message. I am delighted with my paintings, I have ordered frames for them now and shall have to find just where to hang them!
    Those images on retroreveal are excellent, they just say it as it is. I have signed up myself and look forward to trying it further.

clutteredcloset49 and Figtree3 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted