Featured Hairwork Dutch brooch

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dessert58, Dec 20, 2022.

1. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

D6677F9E-916E-4302-BF6E-34A9F1FB03DF.jpeg 08F54FBF-4C4A-4A5D-9788-C734B41C690E.jpeg 132B74A8-6BF2-4243-B7AE-3E05D3FE5CCA.jpeg 4C8CE0F2-BCF7-4F9F-A7AF-35291E3B9CAF.jpeg Has anyone ever seen a hairwork brooch like this?
    I have had this brooch for a few months. It sat in a lot of junk jewelry and it came from the Netherlands.
    It has a small oak-leaf mark which marks it is 14 carat gold and the back seems to be silver.

What puzzles me though is the cantille (oh my! did I spell it right this time?) :D hairwork on top of it.
    It IS cantille I guess? Because its not flat but domed (sorry for the bad pictures but it is SO dark during the day this time of the year)
    I usually find hairwork in brooches that is weaved in a flat pattern, this hairwork though almost looks like a silver cantille knot.
    it must have taken a good eye from someone who knew his job well to make such a 'tower' out of hair.
    So, have you ever seen hairwork beeing used like this?

judy, Figtree3, KSW and 5 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No, but I think it is gorgeous, and a great find in a lot of junk jewellery.:woot::woot::happy:
    (And finally proof that not all Dutch people are blonde!:jawdrop::hilarious:)
    You did!:happy: There are two accepted ways of writing it, cantille and cannetille.
    Having said that, I wouldn't call it cannetille. To me it is woven hairwork.
    While it could have been intended to look like a Dutch button (Zeeuwse knoop), which is cannetille, the technique itself is the same as other woven hair, imo.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    judy, Figtree3, KSW and 6 others like this.
  3. Aznathalie

Aznathalie Well-Known Member

4. Dessert58

Any Jewelry, you are right, just hairwork, not cantille. But it does look like they tried to imitate a Dutch Button, doesn't it?

Funny you mentioned the color.
    To me, it looked pale brown to dark blonde.
    So maybe all Dutch people are blonde after all:joyful:

judy, Figtree3, KSW and 2 others like this.
  5. Dessert58

Aznathalie, thank you very much for the link! Its a very interesting article

judy, KSW, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Yes, it does. Cute.:)
    Where is my wig, where is my wig?!:eek:

Actually, I was born with black hair, which turned white blonde in a very short time. After half a year it began to turn darker, and I ended up being a dark brunette. Now it's almost white again.;) Very indecisive hair.:hilarious:

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
    judy, Figtree3, KSW and 6 others like this.
  7. Dessert58

Any Jewelry, thats so funny! Your hair has its own will.
    My hair is and has been dark blonde forever. During summers its lighter than during the winter though. My kids were very blonde when they were born but two of them got a darker shade of brown when growing up.

judy, KSW, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

I also used to have one natural blonde lock, and some red hairs as well. And one very crinkly lock (on the opposite side of the blonde one) in otherwise fairly straight hair. The crinkly lock was hidden under the straight hair though.
    My hair is just as quirky as I am.:joyful:

judy, KSW, johnnycb09 and 3 others like this.
  9. Dessert58

Any Jewelry thats indeed quirky!
    I have been a redhead during a big part of my childhood though. My mom gave my hair a Hennah bath to make it a bit thicker, but she failed to notice it was the red version Hennah and not the neutral one.
    I have no idea why or how it is even possible, but I swear my hair stayed orange for 5 years because of it!
    So I feel for your few red hairs :hilarious:

judy, Any Jewelry, KSW and 1 other person like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

That brooch has a mind of it's own as far as trying to enlarge it and wanting to NOT FOCUS!!!! NO matter which setting I tried.....and don't know if it has something to do with it being 'hair' or not.....such as it is......also lightened the back.....is there a mark on the back that looks like a possible sheep near the bottom??? AND if you open the pin up, are there any markings ON the BACK of the brooch itself, where the pin goes across and might be hiding something??? ALSO, the mark on the pin itself is so small, to me, I couldn't make anything of it...maybe something with a tail???...sorry....

4C8CE0F2-BCF7-4F9F-A7AF-35291E3B9CAF-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.jpg

08F54FBF-4C4A-4A5D-9788-C734B41C690E-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.jpg

D6677F9E-916E-4302-BF6E-34A9F1FB03DF-gigapixel-low_res-scale-2_00x.jpg

SCREENSHOT BACK.jpg

judy, Figtree3, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  11. Dessert58

Aquitaine, thank you very much for all your efforts!
    I never noticed a sheep but in your pictures I really see it!:)
    I ll have a look tomorrow with daylight and have a try at some more decent pictures

judy, Aquitaine, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  12. Dessert58

13. Dessert58

Some new pictures of the brooch on a handmade artwork card (a kitty!) my daughter made as Christmas cards.
    No other stamps than the tiny oak leaf on the pin stem.
    So sorry I didn't find a goat though.:shame:
    Happy Christmas and happy New Year to you all!

komokwa, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Very nice, she's got talent.:)
    Dutch brooches can also have marks on the side of the C-clasp.
    Fijne feestdagen, Dessert!:kiss:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2022
    komokwa, Dessert58 and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted