Hallmark Help?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by JewelryPicker, Oct 23, 2022.

1. JewelryPicker

JewelryPicker Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I posted this in the jewelry forum a little over a week ago but nobody recognized the mark. To me it seems like a Assay or Standard mark so I don’t believe it’s a jewelry specific mark. In the photo, I’m specifically asking about the mark on the far right. A photo of the domed wave ring included for reference. It has a Mexican or Native American style to it, but the mark is not Mexican and it’s too detailed for NA.

I feel like I’ve seen it before and have tracked it down at some point over the years. But I’m struggling with it this time. No luck on the world silver marks page.

any ideas? E755D1BE-2547-4F06-A502-F2902F5EEE22.jpeg F258E5BE-A964-4535-8933-9737D77B6028.jpeg 51866EB3-BF8C-4A5C-9199-DD81B0F7BED1.jpeg

judy likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The style is generic, very fashionable in the 1970s-80s, also here in Europe. So if you only look for Mexican or NA, you could be limiting your search too much.;)

The shape of the cartouche around the 925 looks like that used in Italy. The other marks could be a jewellery brand and a maker.
    I am not very familiar with modern brands, maybe someone else will be able to find it.

3. JewelryPicker

I don’t believe it is Mexican or Native American based on the mark that I think resembles an Assay or Standard mark.

Good point that the style was popular worldwide, here in the States that style is most frequently seen in Mexican & NA pieces from that era.

The oval around the 925 is not in question as it has been used worldwide for many years

The “AH” in half cartouche is a maker’s mark.

The mark in question has 925 above the image which leads me to believe it is a traditional standard mark.

I guess what’s most aggravating is that I recognize it as a puzzle that I have solved before. What benefit is getting older if you can’t remember all the knowledge that you’ve been stockpiling over the years? :)

judy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

I keep seeing that as an upside down MK.
    It isn't one I recognize, and and I can't find it in any of my assay marks books.
    As I said above, it could be the mark of a jewellery brand. Some brands use assay-like marks to add gravitas to the brand.;)

judy likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Yep, precious knowledge that could benefit and help younger people is lost, generation after generation.:(

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  6. JewelryPicker

It absolutely looks like MK when flipped, good eye!
    61576052-32D5-4ED6-8AF2-14560BBAB24C.jpeg

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Only occasionally.;)
    I think I've seen that maker's mark before, but where...:banghead:

judy likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

That's one reason to post here. Helping newer people can dredge up lost memories. Reading here can mend mental connections. And we appreciate your knowledge.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Try Michael Kors.

10. Any Jewelry

Isn't that MK conjoined? Or maybe older marks are different?

11. Ownedbybear

In my vague memory, there's an older one?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

There often are in other brands. Maybe jewelrypicker can check.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. JewelryPicker

Definitely not Michael Kors, these markings pre-date any sterling work of fashion designer Kors

every suggestion is appreciated though

15. Ownedbybear

WHat makes you so sure the marks are early?

Draft saved Draft deleted