hand bell: buddhist or hinduist?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by JohnNL, Jul 11, 2018.

1. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

Recently bought these two bronze bells. I think this type of bell is used by hindus and buddhists as well. My main question is whether or not decoration, form or style give any indication for what religion this one was made. Related questions: where and when would it have been made? There is 4 symbols above the rim of varja's around the bell: varja, crossed varja. Can anyone determine the other 2? Maybe lotus bud and lotus flower? IMG_7172.JPG IMG_7180.JPG IMG_7181.JPG IMG_7182.JPG IMG_7183.JPG IMG_7185.JPG IMG_7184.JPG
    Sadly one prong of the top is missing. Any suggestion how best to replace missing prong? Dark wax maybe?
    Height is 14 cm

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ok John, shall I give you the address you can send it too? It will save you the bother of replacing the missing prong.:angelic:
    It is an old thing anyway, and broken....;)

It is an East Javanese Vajraghanta.
    Age is difficult, these bells have been made for centuries and have also been 'antiqued' since ca 1900 at least. I can tell you it is not Majapahit period (1293-ca 1500), but certainly in that tradition, which still continues in East Java to this day.

Don't replace the missing prong. That would only be relevant for ceremonies, not for the value.

komokwa, i need help and JohnNL like this.
  3. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

Won't send it, if you don't mind :) I like it anyway and will keep it myself. I'll think about it, but still might add the prong. Depending on where i can find a place for it.

Wonderful to know now where it's from. Didn't have a clue.

4. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

So it is hindu right?

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Buddhism in old-time Java was never as important as Hinduism, but Javanese Hinduism has a strong Buddhist influence.
    The royal court of Trowulan (Majapahit) had both Hindu and Buddhist temples. Hinduism was mainly Shaktism, with a prominent role for the Goddess. Buddhism was mainly Vajrayana, the same as in the Himalayas. The Vishvavajra or double vajra is the symbol of Vajrayana, but was not used by them exclusively.
    I see this as typical Javanese syncretism, a mix of both (or more) traditions.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    komokwa, i need help and JohnNL like this.
  6. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

thnx again AJ :)

komokwa, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

Hi John, they are lovely. I really like objects like this and AJ adds so much detail. Where did you get them from?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. JohnNL

JohnNL Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed! A real treasure trove of knowledge, and very generously dispensing it.
    This one in an auction

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted