Featured Hand-Cut Glass Tray - Special?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, May 31, 2021.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This pretty, hand-cut tray has a job. Before I put it to work, I just want to make sure it isn't something special that should be displayed rather than worked. I am sure it is hand-cut, because the cuts are not even. It is 14 1/2" long and almost 9" wide, and the lip is 1 1/2" tall. Work or Play? Your vote please.

IMG_0840.jpg IMG_0843.JPG IMG_0845.JPG

pearlsnblume, Ce BCA and judy like this.
  2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

The style is Anglo-Irish from the early 19th century, similar items were made elsewhere and at later dates. The Irish examples usually have some decent colour diffraction in the sunlight, so you should be able to see some colours in the sun (not as obvious as modern 24% Pbo) and they are very heavy. English examples tend to be more grey and dull, later examples are less well produced in general, although cutting accuracy may be better on more modern pieces.

3. KikoBlueEyes

Wow. Looks like more research is needed. I love the detailed information. Looks like it may no longer have a job. Thank you very much

Ce BCA and judy like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

Some color in the sun, but not like ABP glass. Not as heavy as some of my ABP either. So perhaps, English type.

Draft saved Draft deleted