Hand embroidered jacket with writing

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by billyd3us, Aug 25, 2018.

1. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

I cannot find this name on this jacket, maybe I am not spelling it correctly, not sure where the first letter starts. Is it Makituhanbersa ? Who knows, not me.

Any ideas who made this or what the wording says ?

Thank You 010.JPG 012.JPG 013.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG

Any Jewelry and Christmasjoy like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

There's something about this that looks commercial, not a handmade object. It's lined? What does the inside look like?

I get a Scandinavian feel - maybe Finnish? Or Icelandic?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

"samaki tu" Kenya? Just a wild guess

4. billyd3us

billyd3us Thanks All my Friends

Here ya go, it's a photo of the inside. 022.JPG 023.JPG 021.JPG

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I would say Thailand, or Laos, based on the style and technique - they use a technique described as "discontinuous supplementary weft", which is the design that is incorporated during the weaving process, not embroidered afterward. On the reverse you can see these weft threads carried across the fabric until they are needed again for the design on the front. A boy's or man's jacket. Possibly made for export, as for a fair trade crafts shop. I cannot explain the lettering, however.

judy likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It was made by the Batak people, from Sumatra, Indonesia, probably for the tourist trade.
    Indonesian peoples have different fabric styles for different purposes, often with an important symbolic meaning. This fabric is based on the type of weave for the Batak Ulos, a cloth worn over the shoulder, which is connected with a spiritual bond within a community.
    Some Batak weaves have words woven in them, and some are decorated with beads.

Indonesian is one of the few Asian languages written in Latin script. Indonesian tribal languages, like Batak, are often written in Latin script as well.
    I can only discern the word Tuhan, which means God. The rest is probably in the Batak language, which has similarities with Indonesian. The prefix ber- also seems to be in there, after that comes samak, one of the Javanese Indonesian meanings of samak is cover. Bersamaki is not a regular Indonesian word, but if translated literally it could refer to something to cover, which a shirt is.;) Or covered/protected by God, which is much nicer of course.
    I don't read Batak, and can only link it to Indonesian, so I could be totally off base.

An old Batak Ulos with woven text and beads:
    upload_2018-8-26_10-22-30.jpeg
    https://rugrabbit.com/node/152131

The traditional Batak Ulos, worn over the shoulder:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    Jivvy, reader, Fid and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted