Featured Hand-Made Carver's or Sculptor's Mallet: What Name?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by wlwhittier, May 6, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I bought this in SoCal ~50 years ago from the widow of the fellow who made it; H.C. Cuff; a machinist, sculptor an' carver. Since then I believe I've seen or heard the name of the head-shape, which sets it apart from ordinary mallets.
    Obviously my alleged memory fails to recall that particular descriptor, an' now it's time to sell it, an' I'd like to be as accurate in my listing as possible.
    Please, if there are any of y'all that know about these tools, enlighten me on this issue...an' thanks for lookin'!

B49D10CC-0A55-48B1-8DFB-37BBEEACE2EF_1_201_a.jpeg C23F2F7B-4333-414B-A979-AFA16582E3B9_1_201_a.jpeg C954659F-5134-41B5-9C1D-318C517C7EE3_1_201_a.jpeg 758BAFFD-7472-49D6-A00E-B9F4396AB896_1_201_a.jpeg 566F3354-B23A-43A2-AEB1-0A7D90F6D6C6_1_201_a.jpeg 16282CC7-F174-4B10-A544-9FF40FC15807_4_5005_c.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

No idea, but I'd hang that on a wall in a mancave any old time.

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I believe it could be a joiners mallet used to hit the head of a wood chisel with out damaging the chisel head.

4. wlwhittier

That's IT...Thank you, Lark, very much!

5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Looks like it gives substance to the expression "fly off the handle."

wlwhittier likes this.
  6. Michael77

Michael77 Well-Known Member

Nice mallet! Woodworks or jointers mallet. Curved head has to do with swing angle, removable head for storage. Handle slides on through top of mallet head to prevent it from becoming air born. Most traditional woodworkers would make their own mallets.

wlwhittier likes this.
  7. wlwhittier

The handle is inserted into the rectangular mortise from the far side, and is so well fitted that it wedges solidly with almost an inch of material proud to that side...the tenon of the handle, and the mortise of the head are very slightly tapered. When fully seated they form a solid, immovable fit. No flying off the handle possible, Bronwen!

Michael77 and Bronwen like this.
  8. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Looks like it was made by and signed by an apprentice joiner when they made all their own tools, back in the good old days.

9. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

As a side note, I don't doubt Mr Cuff made this handsome mallet, but it was long the practice of tradesmen to stamp their names or at least initials on their tools if they worked in a larger shop - the workman usually owned his tools, and clear markings led to fewer problems.

Draft saved Draft deleted