Featured Hand Painted Childs Tea Service - Origin?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Not Sure What This Is, Dec 22, 2023.

1. Not Sure What This Is

Not Sure What This Is Active Member

I can't find a similar example of this childs tea service set. It's all hand painted in black on white. The teapot and sugar have a distinctive finial, which might be a clue as to origin. I was thinking French, but I really don't know. Kind of unusual to find a child's set that they would hand paint - maybe more of a miniature set than for use by a child. Anyone have any ideas as to origin? Childs-Tea-Service-B-W-.jpg Childs-Tea-Service-B-W-2.jpg Childs-Tea-Service-B-W-9.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Size? Pic of bottom? Knee jerk is newish.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Ditto.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  4. Not Sure What This Is

I can understand why you think newish, but who in recent times would hand paint different intricate scenes like this? Unless there's some type of new transfer print technique that looks like hand painting that I'm unaware of and these aren't hand painted at all. I must admit that I'm a little confused by these. Here's a photo of the underside - no markings, and, yes, doesn't appear particularly old.

Childs-Tea-Service-B-W-91.jpg Childs-Tea-Service-B-W-7.jpg Childs-Tea-Service-B-W-8.jpg

5. Not Sure What This Is

BTW, the teapot is 4 1/2" wide from back of handle to tip of spout and 2 1/2" high exclusive of the finial

6. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Very unusual. I wonder if it is a very clever printing method as some of the scenes look wrong eg boy with no head and random boat.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Bat print rather than transfer maybe.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree.
    Probably some kind of transfer printing technique, using either bat or transferpaper, and finished with some handpainted details.

9. Not Sure What This Is

Good point - that half-boy is telling. I'm unfamiliar with bat printing, but will look into it. So, are there other similar examples out there of something being printed like that and then hand finished? And when would this kind of combination printing / hand finishing have been used and by whom?

10. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

China,India and other countries still do things by hand. "hand painted" isnt the marker you might think it is.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted