Featured Hand-painted coffee cups w creamer - English?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by eastcoastcurious, Nov 25, 2023.

1. eastcoastcurious

eastcoastcurious Well-Known Member

FC9236E1-861E-40D4-A8BE-D9EE24C881F3.jpeg 7B412C1A-AB83-4653-A3B5-BF18D8CD2ACD.jpeg 586AC6E7-5EB4-4421-8D42-7B4632856640.jpeg 89364031-56EC-4CC3-AC72-F22EDF778F3B.jpeg 9027BC81-6C75-4127-AA53-9B54D692B5F7.jpeg 8223E4E1-B146-4407-8464-6B5D0CDEB661.jpeg 3D855985-E9B2-43FA-BDCD-0FBE38DE5D8C.jpeg Hello! How old are these cups? Are they English?

2. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

En Grisaille porcelain tea wares. English, very early 19th century.

3. eastcoastcurious

4. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I found a similar cup last week which I was going to post here. Thanks for answering my query before I posted it. :D

5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Please excuse me, but I took the liberty of posting a couple of photos on another forum of which I'm a moderator. Below are the 2 comments about a possible factory.

Nice group of early C19th hand painted teawares! Not sure of factory, but the plain loop handle points toward John or Thomas Rose at Coalport. A view of the handle of the creamer would help. The landscape on it is definitely Coalport-ish.

Hand painted, I am also thinking Coalport.

So, if correct (and and comments are from posters who know a great deal about English porcelain) that would place these pieces from the beginning of the 19th c. I've included a couple tidbits from googling John and Thomas Rose:

"The original 1795 porcelain factory of John Rose & Co. is now a youth hostel. The nearby Coalport China Museum is on the site of a rival factory in which John Rose’s younger brother Thomas Rose was a partner. The two factories were only separated by a stretch of the Coalport Canal (since filled) and competed fiercely for fourteen years in what has been dubbed the ‘War of the Roses.’ John Rose was the eventual victor, acquiring Anstice, Horton & Rose in 1814. Contemporary porcelains of the two factories usually bore no mark and can be difficult to tell apart.

Geoffrey Godden writes that Coalport porcelains prior to about 1815 were ‘of the hybrid hard-paste type: while often rather heavily potted, they were durable and in general well-produced and decorated.’ They were obviously in high demand, as John Rose & Co. was prosperous enough to have absorbed two other factories."
    https://www.cotswold-antiques.com/coalport-john-rose/

I was interested in Godden's mark as the sort of orange-peel look to the base of the creamer had me curious.

6. eastcoastcurious

Thank you for the details!

I appreciate it.

Any Jewelry, kentworld and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted