Featured Hand painted, gold guild, brass, signed lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Elizabeth Brushia, Dec 23, 2023.

1. This lamp was made electric, the placement of the cord is weird… can anyone identify the era or origin? It’s beautiful, hand painted with impressed marks underneath

Attached Files:

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

What is weird about the cord placement? If it goes directly to the burner, this was done so as not to disfigure the body of the lamp. Pretty common. I'm not an oil lamp expert but would think this at least from the turn of the 19th-20th century. Could be older. The signature would be the artist. The marks on the bottom are parts codes for assembly. Something about this says French to me but that is just a guess.

Drew, lloyd249, Gus Tuason and 2 others like this.
  3. The placement of the cord now makes sense… my other oil lamps were wired from the bottom..I thought possibly serves or king Louis with the details of cherubs and pink..thank you

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Do you have a photo of the whole lamp? All your current photos just show parts of it. Also, if you do add such a photo, please post it as "Full Image" rather than Thumbnail. Thanks!

5. When I try to do the full image it says error it’s too large, IMG_4805.jpeg

kentworld likes this.
  6. Got it… sorry about that

komokwa likes this.
  7. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

I found a very similar one sold online. It says its a French banquet lamp. Different porcelain parts but the mounts look to be about the same. I don't have a subscription to the website to see the info. At least they didn't butcher it when it was converted to electric. oil lamp.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

That porcelain looks very French. Cool lamp.

Draft saved Draft deleted