Featured Hand painted Lacquer Box From Russia

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Josh, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

I knew this is probably only 40-50 years old at the most. Not really an antique but I was not sure what board t post it on. Hand painted and signed, was wondering if anyone might be able to translate? Also is this a scene from Russian folklore? Box measures 5 1/2" long, 3 1/8" wide and is 1" deep. Thanks

DSCF6540 - Copy.JPG DSCF6541 - Copy.JPG DSCF6542 - Copy.JPG DSCF6554 - Copy.JPG DSCF6556 - Copy.JPG DSCF6557 - Copy.JPG DSCF6545 - Copy.JPG DSCF6550 - Copy.JPG DSCF6548 - Copy.JPG DSCF6549 - Copy.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

'Russia' is a post Soviet era usage, if the box were older it would say USSR or in Cyrillic 'CCCP'

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Thanks, that's a lot of good info.

5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The box was made in Palekh, which is one of the 3 or 4 main towns known for making these.

6. Figtree3

The part in the quotation marks is the title of the picture on the box. It is a one-word title that might be "Demons" -- although I don't know why that would be, looking at the picture. It appears to be a winter scene with three horses pulling a troika. My translation of the title might be incorrect. The artist's name is there but I can't make out the letters well enough to read the name.

Anyway, this is pretty modern. I like these things a lot, even if they are pretty common.

7. Josh

Josh Well-Known Member

Thanks Figtree, the Demons could mean all of the faces that appear in the clouds and ground.

Figtree3 and Ladybranch like this.
  8. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Seems like a good possibility to me!

9. Figtree3

I did not notice the demonic faces -- I think you are correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted