Log in or Sign up
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing
>
Hand-sewn cloth doll
>
Reply to Thread
Message:
<p>[QUOTE="Firemandk, post: 1658564, member: 7258"][USER=201]@Pat P[/USER] The secret to her actual age may lie in what she is stuffed with ..... Cotton? Old Fabric? Paper? Cardboard ? Horse hair ? Not suggesting you cut her in any way shape or form, just might give you a clue. The "War Paint" sure makes her look like a child played with her . My 84 year old Mom has a lot of her dolls from when she was a child , and some are in incredible shape , BUT , with that said , she also used to work at the YWCA resale shop in the 70's, so a lot came home with her ...... Your doll sure has a late teens / early 20's look to me , just because she looks newer doesn't mean she is .... possibly she was so special she did not get played with much.... There are a lot of 1920's toys that look so good your would swear they were from 1965 like my Tonka Toy Fire engines ... I was one of those kids that waxed my toys....especially the fire engines ... little did I know I would spend 20 plus years waxing the real deal......lol.</p><p><br /></p><p>I have a sit on train ( I am staring up at it now ) in my loft , I traded an old air compressor for it with the baggage car . It belonged to a doctor from North Carolina who was a kid during the 20's , from a very well to do family . His son was a surfer here who just had no appreciation for his old dad's toy train and I was more than happy to take it off his hands..... on a scale of 1-10, it's an 8 ...played with , but kept indoors and well taken care of .......</p><p><br /></p><p>There used to be a tiny folk art looking doll in a case in the Santa Cruz Library... never paid much attention to it till one day I looked at the description card... it came over the Sierra Nevada Mountains with a little girl who was a member of the Donner Party and lived to tell about it , settling in Santa Cruz. Far more valuable to me in my mind than the finest German Porcelain doll ........[/QUOTE]</p><p><br /></p>
[QUOTE="Firemandk, post: 1658564, member: 7258"][USER=201]@Pat P[/USER] The secret to her actual age may lie in what she is stuffed with ..... Cotton? Old Fabric? Paper? Cardboard ? Horse hair ? Not suggesting you cut her in any way shape or form, just might give you a clue. The "War Paint" sure makes her look like a child played with her . My 84 year old Mom has a lot of her dolls from when she was a child , and some are in incredible shape , BUT , with that said , she also used to work at the YWCA resale shop in the 70's, so a lot came home with her ...... Your doll sure has a late teens / early 20's look to me , just because she looks newer doesn't mean she is .... possibly she was so special she did not get played with much.... There are a lot of 1920's toys that look so good your would swear they were from 1965 like my Tonka Toy Fire engines ... I was one of those kids that waxed my toys....especially the fire engines ... little did I know I would spend 20 plus years waxing the real deal......lol. I have a sit on train ( I am staring up at it now ) in my loft , I traded an old air compressor for it with the baggage car . It belonged to a doctor from North Carolina who was a kid during the 20's , from a very well to do family . His son was a surfer here who just had no appreciation for his old dad's toy train and I was more than happy to take it off his hands..... on a scale of 1-10, it's an 8 ...played with , but kept indoors and well taken care of ....... There used to be a tiny folk art looking doll in a case in the Santa Cruz Library... never paid much attention to it till one day I looked at the description card... it came over the Sierra Nevada Mountains with a little girl who was a member of the Donner Party and lived to tell about it , settling in Santa Cruz. Far more valuable to me in my mind than the finest German Porcelain doll ........[/QUOTE]
Your name or email address:
Do you already have an account?
No, create an account now.
Yes, my password is:
Forgot your password?
Stay logged in
Antiques Board
Home
Forums
>
Antique Forums
>
Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing
>
Hand-sewn cloth doll
>
Home
Home
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Activity
Recent Posts
Forums
Forums
Quick Links
Search Forums
Recent Posts
Gallery
Gallery
Quick Links
Search Media
New Media
Members
Members
Quick Links
Notable Members
Registered Members
Current Visitors
Recent Activity
New Profile Posts
Menu
Search
Search titles only
Posted by Member:
Separate names with a comma.
Newer Than:
Search this thread only
Search this forum only
Display results as threads
Useful Searches
Recent Posts
More...