Featured Hand Turned Boxwood-Rosewood Chess Set...Age-Origin Help??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by SPERLS, Oct 23, 2018.

1. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

Any help appreciated...Thanks PA230148 (3).JPG PA230150 (2).JPG PA230154.JPG

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like a nice set!!! Wish I had learned to play it waaay back when!!!!

3. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

WOW - nice, @SPERLS

This looks similar, but since it's on pinterest there's nothing to it except this title:

Yams Wood Wonders saved to Chess
    Boxed Complete set ANTIQUE Turned wood wooden CHESS PIECES, Ebonised wood.
    saved to Chess

[​IMG]

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice set...very elegant....
    the bottoms remind me of a set i had in the 60's...

5. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

If searching for similar try Staunton pattern chess set. If the box is original it may be a better guide to age than the pieces themselves.

scoutshouse and SPERLS like this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Nice usable set. Just looking at condition of the surface finish I’d venture a guess that they were most likely made sometime in 2nd half of 20th c. Or later. Agree with AF that box may tell more. Bottom line is that these are “modern” with no particular antique/collector interest, but still nice, playable, decorative.

scoutshouse, SPERLS and komokwa like this.
  7. scoutshouse

I think they're really stylish @SPERLS , which can make them much easier to sell or gift(?).

SPERLS and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

mine also came in a wood box with a sliding top cover...and no markings on it...

SPERLS and scoutshouse like this.
  9. SPERLS

SPERLS sperls

My first impression was Mid-Century 1940-1950`s....I have done some research & have seen similar sets called "French Regency"....Komokwa,,The box is plain & has a slide top..no markings....It is a very cool set...I wish I could play...But I do not & most likely will sell.

scoutshouse and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

Mine could have been a few years old by the time I got it !! :happy:
    I have no one to play with.......sad that !

SPERLS and scoutshouse like this.
  11. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

Looking at the box if it's original, more around 1900 for me, this chess pieces design is used since 1850, if it's really rosewood no recently made, no more rosewood on the market for making such items since a long time, it's a very hot wood concerning the regulation CITES and customs, impossible to export legally today when it's not old and/or with cultural interest etc…

scoutshouse and SPERLS like this.
  12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Looks like a cross between Staunton and Barleycorn.

Search eBay for "Antique French Chess Set" and you will find similar. Don't know if any of the listings will have additional info.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    scoutshouse likes this.
  13. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I looked thru all posts and didn’t see any pix of the sliding top and the bottom of the box, so we really don’t have a complete picture of it. Obviously those surfaces were the ones in contact with the environment and should give more clues to the age of the item than the contents.

scoutshouse and LIbraryLady like this.
  14. Piet Strydom

Piet Strydom New Member

Beautifull pre 1900 French regence where the Bishops' shoulders were cut to ID between the Queen and Bishop. Boxwood, and ebonised boxwood.

scoutshouse likes this.
  15. scoutshouse

16. Piet Strydom

Piet Strydom New Member

Yes, Playing on a set like that over 130 years age is much better than a plastic modern one. It remains idyllic. I got one for my son a year ago, and his friends are all looking for one now that they saw it. This is one antique that makes you look at it, touch it and experience age and thoughts making you think where and who it had such an experience on during the ages. Enjoy it.

17. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

18. Piet Strydom

Piet Strydom New Member

I go there all the time. I wish I had some of those sets.

808 raver likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted