Featured Handmade artistic folded card

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Natasha, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

Hello, my friend is an artist and she makes folded cards with abstract images. Like the one below. Usually she makes only one copy of each image. She sells them $8.00 per piece. Does anyone have an opinion whether it may be worth buying such cards for further reselling them on ebay. What would be the price ? Welcome all thoughts.
    Folded hand made postcard.m pg.jpg

2. Caribou's House

Caribou's House Well-Known Member

I like her art. I could also see this as a scarf.
    I just think, however, that with websites like Shutterfly
    which provides the fun and so much choice in personalizing
    one's stationary, that standard greeting cards will be a thing
    of the past and mass marketing them (ebay) is a challenge?

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I love things like this, but suspect $8.00 is about as much as the market will bear for a single card. Is your friend willing A) to make multiples & B) sell them to you at a wholesale price? Also, think they would sell (& ship) better as a boxed set of mixed designs, so are you prepared to acquire the needed materials & do the boxing and can the enterprise really net enough to make it worthwhile? Great cards, difficult sell, cheap to ship but hard to do so without damage. As the saying goes, IMHO.

Christmasjoy, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  4. Natasha

Natasha Well-Known Member

Thanks Caribou's House and Bronwen for your opinion. I also think that $8.00 is too much for a single card. However my friend is not willing to make multiples as she considers them to be objects of art and not mass production. I will think about selling 5 cards I have as a set of mixed designs. Thank you again.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Greeting cards is a tough racket. The place for one of a kind pieces is probably more Etsy than Ebay, and even there I have a feeling $8 including shipping is probably about as much as you'll get for a greeting card. It might be worth your friend's while to sell them herself, but odds are reselling would be a money-loser.

6. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Agree with evelyb.
    She should take a look around etsy for prices and how well sellers are doing with cards now.
    I think it is a tough market.

7. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

i would frame the originals and sell copies for 1/2 price , isn't that how it's done .:)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Christmasjoy, judy and Bronwen like this.
  8. lloyd249

or make copies to send to friends and family .

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

A lot of artists in my area make and sell unique cards. $8 is a little steep. Go to Etsy or another site and see what original cards are selling for. Completed auctions, not necessarily what they're asking.

CheersDears, lloyd249 and Bronwen like this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

When I donate mine the charity store sells them for about a buck each. That's the going rate here, and one reason I don't try to make a living making cards.

lloyd249 likes this.
  11. lloyd249

Draft saved Draft deleted