Has anyone any idea where this hand woven blanket/rug was made?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by JayC, Jul 4, 2018.

1. JayC

JayC Member

Hello!

Picked this 82" x 61" rug/blanket thinking it was, perhaps, Mexican in origin but I haven't been able to find anything similar. The symbols could all be Southwestern but I've never seen them put together this way. The piece is handwoven using both undyed and dyed wool. Similar to a kilim, the design is mirrored on the reverse so, technically, it is reversible. Any help with origin and date of production would be greatly appreciated! rug 2.jpg rug 4.jpg rug3.jpg

Attached Files:

• rug5.jpg
      rug5.jpg
      File size:
      182.4 KB
      Views:
    Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. JayC

JayC Member

That is exactly the pattern! I need to do some additional inspectigating, (my daughter's term), since the rug/blanket is both old and wool and the ponchos are new and acrylic. Thank you for the id...how did you find it that fast?

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No expert but, at a glance, wouldn't think your rug terribly old.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. JayC

JayC Member

I have to admit I am much better at orientals but I have had some experience with anatolian kilims (which is what sparked my interest in this piece to begin with). The piece is hand made, not machine, and contains both dyed and undyed wool...plus it belonged to an estate where it had been hanging on a wall for the past 40-50 years; that makes it easier to figure it's not new...Anyway, I'm sure someone knows the significance of the design. I may try reaching "Del Mex" and see if they can shed any light on its background. Again, thanks!

Figtree3 and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

since this is Antiquers . com , most here would consider an item from the 1970's or 80's...to be ..if not new....then...new-er...:happy::happy:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. JayC

JayC Member

That is also a quandry; I don't know how old the blanket/rug is. I saw some other posts where relatively modern, machine made, textiles were featured and this piece could pre-date them by considerable. Now that I know the design is of Mexican origin, for certain, I can begin pulling a thread, (yep, I intended that pun!), and try to find out when and where it could have been made.

Figtree3, Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  8. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

"Inspectigating" is a Marvelous word!!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given the colorway, I would think 70s-ish a possibility and I, for one, don't consider that terribly old.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. JayC

JayC Member

I thought maybe some additional photos would help show how complex this weaving really is; there are a number of shades of white yarn, alone, used in this blanket/rug. The images are backlit by the sun which helps to dilineate colors but also makes the area brighter, "newer" looking. I am still looking for age if anyone has an idea (I have written Del Mex regarding the design and am waiting to hear back).

Attached Files:

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted