Featured Has anyone ever brought home a possibly Haunted Object ?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bosko69, Jun 9, 2022.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I found a few previous discussions regarding this subject,including a New York Times article on strange Ebay testimonials (haven't checked their Discussion Boards yet.
    BEHOLD- Salampasu Salam1.jpg Salam2.jpg Salam3.jpg ...sometimes at night,I hear his skirt rustling...a strange song,in a language unknown.

Bronwen, johnnycb09 and laura9797 like this.
  2. bosko69

I treat Him with respect.

Bronwen likes this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks like tourist art to me. Haunted by airport over$pending. The face is creepy though; he'd be great for Halloween.

4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

:D:D:D:rolleyes:

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

my mask story is somewhere buried on this site...

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ive told this story before but here goes ! I was living in Orlando Fl and bought an antique print mainly for the frame from a garage sale. As I was taking it apart to clean it I found a turn of the century photo of a very handsome young man. I was thrilled but my partner said from the git go it gave him the creeps. I cared not (I was young and still selfish) and hung it . Immediately bad things started happening.

We had moved there a few months prior for my partners job transfer,and suddenly they laid him off. The landlord told us he was selling the house and we had 30 days to find somewhere else. My partner fell and broke his wrist,the car started acting up,etc,etc. Im talking a serious run of bad luck ! Now Im superstitious though I know some think thats poppycock ,and I was convinced something was wrong. One day I was sitting there lamenting and I glanced at the picture of the young man and I just KNEW it had something to do with him! Silly,right ?

I stood up,took him off the wall,went out to the back porch and threw him on the grill,frame and all,and burned it to ashes.The very next day partners job calls him back,then over the next week the landlord informs us he wasnt selling,the car repairs wich I feared would be horrendous turned out to be $50,everything did a complete 180. Coincidence? probably. But Im convinced that good looking young man was evil. As an aside,Ive never bought old portraits ever again !

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Salampasu is the name of one of the peoples of DR Congo. That could be his problem, he has no name of his own.:arghh:

kyratango, pearlsnblume and Bronwen like this.
  8. bosko69

Thanks Any,I've got to get out my vintage Ouija Board and find out his name !
    Johnny-That is an eerie tale,glad you were able to send that demon back home.
    Evey- Yes,my worst curse has been buying too high & selling too low.

9. bosko69

Cursed Objects-early 80's TV ,'Friday the 13th-The Series' produced I think in Canada.

pearlsnblume, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  10. Jaena

Jaena Well-Known Member

I would get rid of him asap.

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. bosko69

Do I keep my haunted John Travolta Doll or toss it ? Hey this could be a matter of life and death,I'm just trying to keep-'Stayin' Alive, Stayin' Alive !'

12. SeaGoat

SeaGoat Well-Known Member

I worked at an antique auction for years..

I know we brought something into that building, not sure which piece it was, but I was there a couple years and nothing had happened, then suddenly it started up.
    I remember I stayed late one night to print stuff off for my son's project, we were going to have a huge auction in a couple days so everything was staged up front and down the sides, as usual.
    I kept hearing something move up there, just slightly.. then I felt something looming over, behind me, the back of my arms got cold accompanied by goosebumps. I could not get out of there fast enough that night and I rarely went back into that building alone after that.

We had 2 pictures fly off walls, that multiple people watched happen.
    One lifted up over a mounted fish and away from the wall, far enough to avoid the other taxidermy below it, the other piece of art flew off the back wall into the back row of seats.

There was also a popping noise that started that no one could figure out.
    Sometimes lights would turn on while no one was in the building or you'd hear someone shuffling around in the back hall.

One year they had the building painted during our after hours, so well into the night.
    On one of the nights the man said he kept hearing voices, like whispering, but sometimes the voices sounded like people carrying on a full conversation, to the point he went and looked out the backdoor (which lead to a vineyard). No one was there. He got so creeped out he packed up for the night and left..

It all seemed to start up around the time we got this huge estate. The people were well known antique dealers who sold their store in downtown Atl when they hit an advanced age.
    There were 1000s of items at the house, literally, small walking paths through this place, if there were even paths, floor to ceiling, packed.
    The dealers had died so the family sold the house and everything in it to someone who was going to remodel it, who in turn hired us to auction it off.

The place was c.r.e.e.p.y.
    You always felt watched in there, and it was COLD, even in the dead heat of a Georgia summer with no AC running. Winter was almost unbearable.

Through the auction, we knew people who had been to their antique store, which had a downstairs event venue. They did some pretty odd things down there from photos we found and stories we'd heard, in fact, we found some pretty odd photos in the house.
    The people we knew had toured their store and said the downstairs creeped them out so much, they left the building entirely.

I'm pretty sure whatever made its way into the auction building came from that estate.
    ..im just glad the things I bought out of that estate didn't seem to have anything attached to it. :wideyed:

13. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I only bring items that could be good luck in my place. I would not put that item in my place at all.

One time though, I was standing in my office room near my desk looking for a piece of paper and suddenly felt a slight shove to my back. It felt as tho someone, something had just walked by me too close. Very strange to say the least.

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Freebies like that you don't need!

kyratango and pearlsnblume like this.
  15. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

Lived in an 1800s house where a gangster & Nun died in Lowell MA. It was definitely haunted! Lots of whimsical stuff happened but nothing scary The spookiest was the rocking chair in the nursery. You could hear it rocking as it kricked when anyone rocked it. Many nights when my wife & I were listening to the baby monitor the chair would krick.

kyratango, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. David Kiehl

David Kiehl Well-Known Member

17. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Back to your original piece, I have found several similar examples from the Salampasu people, but I cannot confirm their descriptions as puppets used in initiation ceremonies.
    [​IMG]
    Lot 59 A ritual dancer puppet, Salampasu people, DRC, 1930s
    https://issuu.com/summersplaceauctions/docs/issuu_22861_spa_june_18_web/s/877

[​IMG]
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/66212499_salampasu-masked-puppet-belgian-kongo-tribal-art

upload_2022-6-9_20-40-41.png
    https://uk.drouot.com/l/18499870-salampasu-democratic-republic

[​IMG]
    https://www.lot-art.com/auction-lot...-DR-Congo/37722409-doll_wood-05.7.20-catawiki

18. bosko69

Fellow Hunters-In 50 years(!),I don't think I've ever brought home a haunted or cursed artifact-but then I'm as dense as a hunk of concrete when it come to paranormal sensitivity.
    My beloved Wife of 42 years is fairly sensitive to these things-once ages ago we walked into a small antique store and noticed an old stone Celt/ stone chisel-poss First Nations, Mesoamerican,Oceanic ?.
    It was perfectly shaped and had a good amount of original polish and patina.The piece knocked me out and it was $90,exquisite and undoubtedly hand shaped-I loved it.
    We had it removed from the case,I touched it,then my Wife did.She was immediately repulsed by the object.I asked her for an opinion of the piece (we both love Tribal/Ethnographic Art),she instantly said-'This thing has death on it'. I asked her -didn't she love the form,she said -'Yes,but We can't bring it home,it's bad'.
    I'm so numb psychically-i think a ghost could walk thru me and I'd keep eating my hotdog.My Wife not so much,most of the time she turns down the 'volume' so to speak.
    PS-It seems many of the Objects & Locations documented in personal testimonies and video seem so strong,that even a 'lunkhead' like myself couldn't miss it !

19. bosko69

2ManyBks-Thanks so much for the info on the little Salampasu.I have to investigate more to see if this piece was an object/focus talisman of spiritual power,or perhaps something less powerful ?
    I always treat the piece with respect.

20. bosko69

Favorite Paranormal TV Show-'Paranormal Caught On Camera',nothing but Phone,CCTV Footage & Photos.Is it all Real ?...prob #@%* not ! But no over the top ham-bone hysterical Hosts stumbling around the dark (though the guest commentators always seem to think the footage might be legit, and I'm guessing they all didn't graduate from MIT or Harvard). Ghost/Poltergeist,Cryptid,UFO subjects-who knows.

Draft saved Draft deleted