HAS ANYONE LOOKED AT ESTATE JEWELRY ON 'REPLACEMENTS' ??

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Aquitaine, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I'm just curious....my emails from Replacements has changed a bit....now they're targeting to look at their "Estate" Jewelry....so I did!!! I haven't a clue if it's new to their site or not....does anyone know?? And IF you've seen it before, what do you think of the prices they're asking?? AS opposed to other sites?? Curious mind interested in finding out!!!!

Thanks!!

antidiem and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I just looked at the prices.:jawdrop: I am speechless....

3. Aquitaine

Because they're soooooo...........????:rolleyes: I did think they were somewhere in the clouds, but other than the cameo I bought, I haven't bought ANY jewelry in MANY, MANY YEARS.......I don't really wear much of it.........SOOO.......

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    antidiem, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I had no idea that they sold jewelry & am not quite sure when it started.

I took a quick look & since I know very little about jewelry I will have to defer to any jewelry's expertise.

Their prices have always been a little bit out there & I know from people who sell to them that they pay very little for the majority of their stuff.

antidiem, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Peggy,
    I used to think that Replacements did not pay much but I have been pleasantly a few times. I had a square Franciscan Apple pattern plate that I had on ebay for a month no bites at 9.99. I contacted Replacements and they said several people were looking for that plate and gave me 75 dollars for it. If a lot of people are looking for something they pay a lot more than I could sell on ebay. The last thing i sold them last month was four sterling teaspoons that I had on sale for 30 dollars no bites. Sold them to Replacements for 73 dollars.
    greg

aaroncab, antidiem, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I only briefly glanced at necklaces and bracelets.

My impression is that most of it is on the newer side 1980s and after. With some antique mixed in.

Prices look like what you would see from a high end department store, like Macy's, Nordstrom, Neiman Markus. Overly priced.

7. Aquitaine

Well, that kind of confirms my thinking, in general!!!:):)

clutteredcloset49 and antidiem like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I didn't even know Replacements had jewelry lol. Although I'm sure there are lovely pieces out there, I'm so old, I consider 80s jewelry too new to bother looking at!

9. antidiem

Thanks for the info, Greg, how did you know to contact them about those specific pieces? Was it just that they had NONE listed?

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And at those prices, only useful as museum exhibits - the Replacements Museum of Overpriced Jewelry. I looked at some rings and they're charging about double what they ought to.

antidiem likes this.
  11. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    If they sell out and none listed and it is a popular pattern they will pay more. In my case it was just luck that they "needed" the pieces.
    greg

antidiem and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  12. antidiem

Thanks Greg, maybe I'll investigate them and just ignore the jewelry!

judy likes this.
  13. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Greg - I am glad it has worked out for you lately.

I have a friend who still sells to them. He buys some of the pieces at the auction house where I work. When he is ready to take a load up there he does a 2 day trip where he makes a big loop up through Charlotte NC. He makes stops at numerous thrift & consignment shops along the way where he picks up stuff to sell to Replacements as well as sell at his shop. He says it is always very worthwhile even after figuring in gas, food & a stay at a hotel overnight.

14. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Here's the "news release" about Replacements' venture into "estate jewelry":

GREENSBORO, N.C., January 15, 2018 – The Replacements, Ltd. team is excited to announce the official debut of the retailer's latest product category at the company's very first Estate Jewelry Collection Event from 3 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. Saturday, February 3, 2018.

"I think there’s often a misconception about what’s considered estate jewelry in that people think of really old pieces," says Replacements Estate Jewelry Manager Carey De Tota. "Estate jewelry is anything previously owned, whether a year or a hundred years old. Our collection is eclectic and unique, with a wealth of gems, metals and designs—from very contemporary and modern to retro and vintage. These gorgeous pieces appeal to a variety of tastes as diverse as this collection."

Replacements expanded into estate jewelry last summer, hiring an experienced team led by gemologist De Tota. Offerings include exquisite, previously owned one-of-a-kind rings, bracelets, broaches (sic) and earrings.

from: https://www.replacements.com/press/pressrelease_20180115.htm

15. Aquitaine

I think the idea is terrific.....I think the prices aren't!!!!:jawdrop::jawdrop::smuggrin::smuggrin::smuggrin:

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted