Has anyone seen a mixer like this ?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by antiquity, May 16, 2019.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

Mayo makes sense... Something to quickly combine a few ingredients.

The handle gives me an Italian vibe, or maybe not specifically US made.

I tried vintage manual cast stand mixer and vintage hand cranked stand mixer and couldn't turn up anything that doesn't have a motor...

Some cute contemporary items came up under human powered :) "the tyranny of the plug"

Screenshot_20190520-105331_1558374884269.jpg

Hand Crank Conversion Kitchen Aid Mixer

[​IMG]

This Amish machine shop removes the motors from brand new Kitchen Aid 5-Quart mixers and converts them to a hand crank using handmade machined gear sets for off-grid use.

2. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

Don Thornton is the expert on eggbeaters, which this falls into. He wrote his outstanding book, "Beat This, the Eggbeater Chronicles" which shows and discusses hundreds of eggbeaters. I only have the first edition and it does not have this mixer. It's possible he included it in the second edition if you can locate a copy. In fact, I need to get one myself!

https://www.amazon.com/Eggbeater-Chronicles-Don-Thornton/dp/0964124343

judy, cxgirl, Figtree3 and 3 others like this.
  3. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

This is all so very interesting ! What a strange piece..and what great info .

judy and scoutshouse like this.
  4. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

I managed to get a copy of Thornton's second edition of "Beat This, the Eggbeater Chronicles". Alas, the mixer is not in there. I also tried several email address for Don but they were no longer good. However, I did find another example of the mixer and it is in an Australian museum!

https://victoriancollections.net.au/items/5960800cd0cdd111a0b84128

mixer-green.jpg

Dennis

cxgirl, aaroncab, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  5. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

i need help likes this.
  7. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

I forgot to add that Pete Evans, who markets the modern version, is an Australian celebrity chef. The compass needle is pointing to Oz! Dennis

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

And on the museum site it says the bowl of theirs is by an Australian company.

i need help and Figtree3 like this.
  9. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

Kan Wonda mixer with juicer.JPG Kan Wonda mixer parts.JPG Kan Wonda mixer with oil dropper.JPG GOT IT !!

It is a Kan Wonda Mixer made by Kan Safety Products. The recess in the top can be used for a juicer and also the oil dripper for making mayonnaise. It is actually an egg separator. You crack the egg over it and it separates the yolk and whites first then is used to drip the oil. It came with two sizes of bowls that were glass with painted exteriors in various pastel shades. IT was made in the late 1940s to early 1950s.

Dennis Kan Wonda mixer with juicer.JPG Kan Wonda mixer parts.JPG Kan Wonda mixer with juicer.JPG Kan Wonda mixer parts.JPG Kan Wonda mixer with oil dropper.JPG

cxgirl, aaroncab, Figtree3 and 4 others like this.
  10. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9D261B59-3E13-4028-A59A-4D31FD414085.jpeg

11. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Well done, well done!

i need help likes this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Congratulations, and great work!

i need help likes this.
  13. Mixdenny

Mixdenny Active Member

I don't know what happened to the format of my post... Anyway, I forget to mention that all the newspaper articles that mention Kan Safety Products were from the Sydney, Australia newspapers from 1955 to 1957.