Featured Has anyone seen this Cast Iron man statue before?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by mctreasures, Aug 14, 2021.

1. mctreasures

mctreasures Member

Hi, I was wondering if anyone might know what this cast iron statue is? I can't seem to find another like it but I also don't know what to search for even. It is super heavy weighing 28 pounds and measures 19 inches tall. Looks like a man strolling along and walking with his hand in his pocket with a jacket and a pointy hat. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

kyratango, LauraGarnet02 and Bronwen like this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I think maybe an old door stopper

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Looks similar to andirons with figures that people describe as Hessian Soldiers.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pretty sure I've seen him in 2-D form too.

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I thought he was a Hessian soldier too! So went to that quick & easy web site we were introduced to by @Bookahtoo the other day and... low and behold... Here he is painted (which makes all the difference.)

https://www.doorstops.com/index.html

Debora

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 4.49.08 PM.png

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I had not seen that site. I've Pinned it in Metalware Forum. Thank you, @Bookahtoo

7. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Debora, LauraGarnet02, Rayo56 and 5 others like this.
  8. mctreasures

mctreasures Member

You guy are seriously amazing! Thank you all so much!

9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Ah yes - A "Flat Back" casting - could be a door stop, a beginning of an Andiron not finished, or a windmill weight. At 28# is very heavy for a door stop. And that is not exactly him painted.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Mom had two very antique Hessian andirons that supposedly came from the Gilbert Stuart Estate Sale way 'back when' that, at least from the front, looked just like OP's, and I do know they went when we cleared out the house after her passing in 2003.....never did see what they went for.....

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted