Featured Has anyone seen this Jean Michel Folon poster before?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 8, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I've had this poster for a while & had forgotten about it honestly, but when I saw another example of it on 1st Dibs for $1,200(I know that site charges high prices but other Folon posters I looked up were also selling for high prices + mine was also hand signed by Folon), so I went looking for it & finally found it in a stack of art a few days later.
    But when I tried to research it I couldn't find another example of it - not even the first one I saw on 1st Dibs!
    I've tried google image search (with my phone; I don't know how to do it on my computer), putting the complete title in the search with Jean Michel Folon (Florida Build your future where the future is) - and nothing.
    I know I'm not the smartest egg in the crate - my smart phone is smarter than me - but if this is by such a well-known artist than there has to be another example somewhere, right?
    Can anyone tell me anything about this - it is by Jean Michel Folon, right? - or find another example?
    Thank you in advance!

ART POSTER FLORIDA FOLON 1AAA_AA RRRESIZZZEDDD.JPG ART POSTER FLORIDA FOLON 3AAA  RESIZEDDD.JPG ART POSTER FLORIDA FOLON 3AAA CLOSE UP AA.JPG ART POSTER FLORIDA FOLON 6AA  RESIZEDDD.JPG

2. journeymagazine

Can anyone help me with this?

dude and judy like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I couldn't find another example either. There is a foundation/museum dedicated to his work in Belgium. Perhaps they'll be able to help. (I'd start with the director.)

https://fondationfolon.be/?lang=en

Debora

Screen Shot 2022-02-09 at 7.55.45 PM.png

Figtree3 and dude like this.
  4. journeymagazine

Thank you!

dude likes this.
  5. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

A story in the Orlando, Florida Sentinel on April 17, 1984 covered the announcement of a new drive to attract business to Florida using that slogan, but the poster shown in the article has a giant palm tree similar to your poster, but surrounded by and dwarfing landmark buildings from other cities (Chicago Sears Tower, Atlanta Peachtree Plaza, SF TransAmerica Tower, etc.), not as a rocket. Then the Palm Beach Post on February 4, 1985 has the following:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Florida National Bank became part of what is now Wachovia in 1990, so who knows where the original of the poster is today? Could be in a bank in South Florida, in the State Archives in Tallahassee, sold in a charity auction, or may be, as we hear so often on antiques roadshow, some bank officer caught it on it's way to the dumpster (or skip for our UK friends) and took it home.

You might try the Florida Department of Commerce or the Florida State Archives for more info on the poster design and history. Good luck :happy:

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Great information above. Thanks!

Debora

dude likes this.
  7. elarnia

elarnia SIWL

BTW - If you want to sell it, I would try approaching companies like Space-X or Blue Origin, who are launching commercial space flights from Florida. They might want it for their headquarter offices. You never know!

8. journeymagazine

I will - Thank You!

9. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Bear in mind that while an signature increases the value of a poster, a dedication to anyone who isn't incredibly famous (or coincidentally named Josh and Suzy) has the opposite effect.

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if the artist signed copies at the gallery unveiling. Poster will be of greater interest to a Folon collector hoping to add what appears to be a hard-to- find multiple to his/her collection.

Debora

11. journeymagazine

I found another of his posters; a exhibition poster for a show at the Bacardi gallery (I lived close to the Bacardi building & passed it every day; a beautiful building but I thought it looked like a square mushroom!)

ART POSTER FOLON JEAN MICHEL 1AAA.JPG ART POSTER FOLON JEAN MICHEL 2AA.JPG ART POSTER FOLON JEAN MICHEL 3AA.JPG ART POSTER FOLON JEAN MICHEL 3AAA.JPG ART POSTER FOLON JEAN MICHEL 8AA.JPG ART POSTER FOLON JEAN MICHEL BACARDI GALLERY EXHIBITION POSTER 9AA.JPG

Figtree3 likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That looks faded.

Debora

13. journeymagazine

Thank you all (Debora!) for the information - I accepted a offer of $450 on eBay last night for it!
    PS - The foundation never answered my email about it

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. Steven Greenberg

Steven Greenberg New Member

Hi. I have the poster (framed). Folon is printed, but not signed. I haven't looked at the back.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted