Featured Have a question about an Irish double damask tablecloth

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by ola402, Oct 31, 2020.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

A friend gave me a NOS tablecloth that she found unopened with her mother's things. They were not the white damask tablecloth kind of household so it was never used and she had never seen it before. I told her I would try to sell it for her on ebay. It seems to be a floral pattern but I noticed a lot of plain space so I opened it up to see if the pattern was just a border. I try not to open old tablecloths because I can never get them refolded correctly. Anyway, I was shocked to find that this tablecloth was NOT hemmed. It has a selvage side but the side which should be hemmed is cut cloth. I thought that maybe someone had cut a larger cloth down to their size, but it is cut on both ends.

What is up with this? Was it normal to sell a cloth unhemmed? Here are some photos, does anyone know why it would be this way?

DSCF7136.jpg DSCF7137.jpg DSCF7138.jpg DSCF7141.jpg

2. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Also, if I should try to hem it myself to keep it (it is very pretty), should I wash it first or hem it and then wash it? I can kind of remember how it would be done and (deep sigh) it wouldn't be too terrible to do.

ulilwitch, judy and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I wonder if @Northern Lights Lodge (if I have her name right?!) might know about this?? I think I may have a similar one stashed away from my mother......so I'm curious as to an answer!!

But also, in your pictures, it DOES look like a 'finished' edge....just not in the sense of a 'hemmed' item that you might think?

4. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I have a couple from my Mom that are much like your with the exact same edges - not hemmed.

5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I noticed that in the picture as well. So I checked and it is the selvage side. I was going to take a photo of the cut side, but then I would have to unwrap it again. My friend found it in a plastic bag folded as shown in the 1st photo. But when I looked closer, it looks like it probably was not folded over originally, but it was long and likely in one of those impossibly thin boxes, perhaps with cellophane or ribbon. I've found that once removed from that box, it never goes back in.

So if finding them unhemmed right from the factory is somewhat normal, what were you expected to do with it and why was it sold unhemmed?

ulilwitch, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  6. Aquitaine

To that, I haven't a clue, unless they were letting the buyer "finish it off", but that does sound strange! But I agree & knew what was showing was a 'selvedged' edge....which I believe can be left 'as is'.....but 'raw' edge.....hmmm??? Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than us, will enlighten us!!!!:happy::happy::joyful:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    ulilwitch and judy like this.
  7. Aquitaine

I did find what I gather is the only IRISH LINEN shop left in Ireland, if you maybe want to ask them a question??? But what I was actually looking for and trying to find was....Remember when you could (I think) buy an item from I think either Ireland or England UNFINISHED for less than full price???? I do, but couldn't find anything online about it!!! So I found this place instead....hope it helps....Let us all know please what you find out about the unfinished edges?????? And thanks!!!!

HERE: https://www.fergusonsirishlinen.com/

https://www.fergusonsirishlinen.com/contactus/

i need help, ulilwitch and judy like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There are still a lot of Irish linen shops in Ireland, even online. The country suffix is .ie.:)

i need help and ulilwitch like this.
  9. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Hmm, it's very pretty. Maybe sold that way so the ladies could add their own lace trim? I don't remember tablecloths (seems like a big job) but I do remember hankies, pillow cases, table runners and other smaller items unfinished.

judy likes this.
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The selvedge edge is never finished off; it IS finished off. I had one of these recently, new in box. Gave it away to a lady heading back to Nigeria to work with trauma victims; she wanted a fancy tablecloth for parties. (friend of a friend at church) The other edge...dunno. If it's raw, it was left that way so a lady could finish it to fit her table. The old tables weren't standard sizes.

Figtree3, judy and ulilwitch like this.
  11. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

They just cut the cloth to the desired length. It's perfectly normal.

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  12. evelyb30

Sewing a hem in requires a machine, which every woman had or just about back in the day. Easiest sewing ever too - straight stitch in a straight line.

judy likes this.
  13. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

book, do you think I could sell it as is?

Ok, then, I guess now that I know it could be finished to size, I can go ahead and unfold it (don't know why I'm terrified of unfolding?? Just can never get it back to where it was). I'll see if it's worth hemming for myself. I don't really need yet another gorgeous tablecloth, but if I were forced by circumstances to take it?? Someone has to do it. Might as well be me.

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  14. evelyb30

Horrors.(LOL)

judy and Aquitaine like this.
  15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have one. Only because my mom taught me some sewing basics back in the day. She was an artiste at sewing. I kind of remember her showing me how to do corners without a big bunchy bump at the end. I'll have to dig it out of my head.

judy likes this.
  16. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Please don't hem it. It's pristine NOS. I've sold several of these.

judy likes this.
  17. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

They sell, that's good news. I will just list it as is. Will the buyer hem it? I'm obsessing over this, aren't I?

judy likes this.
  18. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Serious potential buyers will want to see as much of the design as possible, and also if the design runs off the cut edges. The most coveted ones do not have the design run off the cut edges. From the photos posted, it looks like a rather common chrysanthemum design, and the size listed is not one of the more desirable larger banquet cloths. But it’s very nice that it is unused and retains the original label.
    Is there any age discoloration?
    I presume there are no mill marks in the corners?
    Mill mark examples:
    [​IMG]

http://linendiva.blogspot.com/p/antique-linen-damask-thread-count.html?m=1

Any Jewelry, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  19. Aquitaine

I guess I should have qualified that response.....it was cited as supposedly "the" one that still has a history of going originally WAY back.....I understand there are many Irish linen shops in Ireland, but many of the cloths are made elsewhere and brought in, but marketed as Irish.....and I'm only saying what I read.....and if I have to go back and dig it up I may have to shoot myself, but I think it was on Wikipedia!!!!!:joyful: Thanks, @Any Jewelry !!!

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  20. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I don't think this is unfinished. They were sold that way.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted