Featured Have you ever seen these tiny oils?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Marianne326, May 11, 2017.

1. Marianne326

Marianne326 Member

These are tiny oil painting...about 3"x3". Any thoughts on if they're worth keeping or throwing away?

IMG_7507.JPG IMG_7508.JPG IMG_7509.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Can't say that I've seen many quite that small. But they're cute! Don't throw them away.

3. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I've seen little oils, hand-painted, possibly imports; sold as décor for rather low prices. ($10 or less) Not sure about yours, though.

lloyd249, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Throw them this way ! theyll go beautifully in my dolls house! :)

plaid423, Christmasjoy, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

They really DO make me think of fine old doll's house décor!

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Johnny,
    I made wonderful "portraits" for doll houses out of postage stamps and carved wooden toothpicks. The 1940s famous Americans series as well as the presidential series earlier made nice portraits.
    greg

7. VintageKaren

VintageKaren Active Member

So charming. Don't toss them. :)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  8. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

These look like tourist trade paintings that I have seen sold in Europe. The writing on the paper may be a hint as to what country these came from. I've seen antique to new. I think your pieces look vintage but not antique.

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

That is great. Makes me want to DO SOME!
    There are some beautiful bird stamps...

10. gregsglass

Hi Gila,
    You can get thin balsa wood to make frames.
    greg

Christmasjoy, judy and Marianne326 like this.
  11. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

When I opened my store, a friend who had had a gift store took part of the store to liquidate the rest of her stock. She sold new gift ware, dolls, toys and miniatures. In her dollhouse miniatures were tiny pictures 2x3, 3x3. They looked hand painted with wide frame like yours. There may still be one in the miniature case.

12. EstatesAppraiser

EstatesAppraiser New Member

I'm often stunned at what dollhouse aficionados are willing to spend on artist's OOAK dollhouse furnishings.

13. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw them was "Dolls House"! Someone will surely want them and treasure them, Joy.

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Look to be decorative paintings out of Italy. Well-known image of Leonardo di Vinci. From ESCA logo, I'd think 1970s which is, if I remember correctly, when those types of paintings were out and about. All three not by the same hand but all charming in their diminutive way. Happy to think they'd find a doll house home.

Debora

Leonardo di Vince.jpg

15. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Greg, Micheals Art Supply Stores sell thin pieces of balsa wood. If you like making miniatures, you should look at the Micro Mark website. They sell all kinds of miniature tools including power tools. Here is a link (for information purposes)
    http://www.micromark.com/

lloyd249 likes this.
  16. gregsglass

Hi Mill Cove,
    I love making miniatures but the old age and fattened fingers slow me down. My last project was a smashed crucifix from 1907 for my MIL. She can not get over how I matched paint and filled in missing pieces. It gives me a little joy to save something.
    greg

17. Ihaveolditems

Ihaveolditems Active Member

THE bottom one. To me It's valuable!! Do not ever throw that away. I would buy it probably

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Isn't that Cyrillic printing? Backwards R?

Draft saved Draft deleted