Featured Haviland Limoges - Gold Wedding Ring Band China

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nsemest182, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Nsemest182

Nsemest182 New Member

I inherited more 1800s Haviland Limoges Wedding Band china than I can handle.. What would you recommend I do with it all? This photo shows maybe a third of it. Not seen are various other items including a spittoon, soup tureens, bowls, butter and gravy dishes with lids..etc

Do people buy it still? Is the brand collectible?
    [​IMG]

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Have one He**uva PARTEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Figtree3, silverbell and komokwa like this.
  3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @Nsemest182 & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

Unfortunately, fine china is a hard sell in today's world because people do not entertain & have large sit-down dinner parties anymore. If they do have a dinner party it's usually much more casual & disposable stuff is used.

Some of the serving pieces do seem to bring a decent price but the other stuff is much lower. Search eBay's sold prices for examples.

Depending on where you live you could contact Replacements Ltd. to see if they would be interested in any of the pieces. I will warn you that they are not going to offer you much & you would be responsible for getting it to them. If you live close to their place in North Carolina you could deliver it in person but shipping that much stuff would be a nightmare even for someone like me who has 23 years of experience packing china and crystal.

You could also try Facebook Marketplace to see if someone locally might be interested.

Good luck to you!! :happy::happy:

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  4. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

Get a bigger table?

bercrystal likes this.
  5. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I did think of one more thing for you to consider.

It is unlikely that any 1 person is going to buy such a huge set unless they want it for resale & then the offer will be likely small due to the amount of work that selling a large set entails.

If you should try to sell it yourself you should be prepared to sell the set in smaller parcels. The different serving pieces would likely sell by themselves but as far as place settings those would have to be grouped together in smaller batches.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

There is one factor in your favour -- especially with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up. Plain china with a gold rim has remained popular with people as it looks elegant and is not fussy like many of the older sets. I would make sets of 4 or 6 from what you have and sell on local sites to avoid having to pack and ship which is costly. The serving pieces I would sell separately.

komokwa, bercrystal and silverbell like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Definitely a sell locally item only. The china is hand wash only with that gold on there, and most people just don't want to deal with it any more. If you have a ton of immigrants from place where people still "dress up" a table for guests/parties/holidays you should be able to sell it. If not... it's going to be a slog no matter what.

komokwa likes this.
  8. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Don't know were you're located, but there's a FB group Beautiful Table Settings where the (mostly) ladies take great pride in their china collections and are always searching for more. I think that on Tuesdays (check me on that) they allow people to post china for sale. You can upload photos and make it for local pickup only.

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
  9. silverbell

You could always rent it out to a wedding party. All the spittoons and teapots and other taller/extra pieces to be used for flower arrangements. Mix with crystal salts and peppers, and perhaps a gold banded set of wines and champagnes...

(Guess what I like to do in my spare tme!)

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

sell it to the folks who will rent it..!!!

silverbell likes this.
  11. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Could always sell individually as spares. Eg. List set of plates as one listing but six plates they can buy individually. They might buy just one or all the set. Someone in need of an individual piece might pay a reasonable amount for a piece they are missing from their set. Time consuming but safer and more profitable. Also eliminates the chance of a courier smashing it. If you sold the full set, even if one piece got damage, they might demand a full refund which would be costly.

12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Does this china have a history in your family? Was it passed down multiple generations? If so, maybe you can parcel some of it out to relatives. It's a shame that this wonderful set cannot be easily re-homed.

komokwa likes this.
  13. komokwa

remember.... the OP says...
    This photo shows maybe a third of it.

I'm thinking maybe someone had a store !!!

14. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

China is a tough sale these days. If it can't go in the microwave and dishwasher, no one wants it anymore :(

15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The one place I can see needing it is a props house that rents to big period productions, such as Gosford Park, where there's a manor or country home & lots of eating & drinking while in evening wear. Maybe not the spittoon...

komokwa likes this.
  16. komokwa

the spittoon is period correct.......cherry on the Sunday !!

Bronwen likes this.
  17. silverbell

Spittoons and chamber pots get a bad rap. There's nothing wrong or unpleasing about the style and shape, but once one knows the use... :(

komokwa and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted