Featured Haviland Wedding Gold Rope Coffee Pot - Age?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Dec 3, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I just couldn't get a good shot of the English Registry Mark on this Haviland and Co Wedding Gold Rope Coffee Pot. Apparently, Haviland made them for some time, so there are several out there. I don't quite get the Haviland - a French Company and the British Registry Mark, but someone might help me with this.

They sold this for $14 because it didn't have a visible Haviland Stamp and the H & C mark is impressed and very hard to see. They thought it was a reproduction. Based on the English Registry Mark time period for Mark A (it has a numeral 4 on the far right triangle), the time period is between 1842 and 1867.

This is a study piece, as I am not going to keep it. I just want to get better at reading marks. I am hoping this will help other too. I did my best on the mark, but I can't read the year letter. Maybe you can. Any help appreciated.

IMG_4585 (1).JPG IMG_4586.JPG IMG_4587 (1).JPG IMG_4588.JPG the one better.JPG the one better2.JPG the one better3.JPG the one better4.JPG IMG_4589 (2).JPG

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

According to Wikipedia, Haviland imported English stuff before switching to French:

"American David Haviland was a New York-based importer/exporter who recognized the quality of French porcelains and wished to import them for an American clientele. Charles Haviland explained his father’s history as such:

"In 1839, my father was an importer of English Porcelain and earthenware in New York, when he happened to see a French porcelain tea service that had, I know not how, found its way across the Atlantic. My father found the material of this service quite superior to that of the English porcelain and earthenware that had been the object of his trade and thought it would be a good thing to be the first in America to introduce tableware very superior to that in use in his country at that time…he went to France with his samples, asking anyone he thought might know, in what locality they had been made. Finally, in Paris, he was told it had to be Limoges porcelain.""

Any Jewelry, kentworld, NanaB and 4 others like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent information. This makes so much sense. I love being here, because the history is so fascinating. How this design evolved along with the source of the materials. Thank you so much for this. One mystery solved.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@KikoBlueEyes, your same image that I just worked on, looks pretty darn good!! I'm not sure of the letters either!! Don't think mine is any better!! Nice job!!! Maybe it's familiar to others........

Enhancedthe oneGreen--00x-DeNoiseAI-raw-topaz-exposure-remove-sharpen-color.jpg

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you very much for this. I have been watching you and have gotten some ideas.

The real important piece is in the top right under the IV (which means ceramic according to Kovels.) The year is what is pictured there but I haven't been able to suss it out. If you look at the attached chart, each year is attached to a letter.
    English Registry Marks – Kovels

Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@KikoBlueEyes, I can't quite make it out either....."LOOKS" like it might be
    P (or R)...second letter just NOT sure...."LOOKS" like it could be a
    T or A..........s'all I've got!!!!

KIKO-UNDER IV.jpg

Any Jewelry and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent. That helps a lot. I wish they had stamped it deeper. Argggggh. Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, that is one handsome coffee pot. With that knopf and rope bit I'm thinking aesthetic design (from Google: From 1860 to 1900, the Aesthetic Movement initiated sweeping artistic and design changes and its modern concepts of middle-class lifestyle and domestic environment) and I would place this one at the earlier end of the period. 1860s/70s is quite plausible.

9. KikoBlueEyes

Love it. Thank you for putting its place in time. I'm not at all conversant with where things fit in an historical sense. This has been a good purchase for me information wise. With what you said I can see the change in style.

kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted