Featured Hawaiian Pottery Kauai Cat Signed Lloyd

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jul 30, 2018.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Buddies! - I picked up this pottery cat at auction recently. For some reason the name Lloyd in connection with Hawaii seemed familiar to me. Now that I'm trying to research it, though, I'm coming up blank. The cat is about 4 1/2" long and 4 1/4" tall. Any information regarding the kitty would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Don

IMG_20180730_144557243.jpg IMG_20180730_144630717.jpg IMG_20180730_144609899.jpg IMG_20180730_144605881.jpg

pearlsnblume, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. B Jeffrey

B Jeffrey New Member

Hi I am wondering if you ever found out any information on this? I recently purchased a mug with the same name and print on it.

3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

No, I'm afraid not. I search every now and then but haven't been able to find anything information.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks 1960s/1970s from its shape. Design based on tapa cloth, I would think.

Debora

Unknown.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    dgbjwc and bercrystal like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Lloyd must have been a competitor to Pohaku Kilns. Their work is so similar.

"A Hawaii-based manufacturer that made mostly native styled Tapa print designed pieces (mugs, vases, bowls, plates, etc). Easily identified as most pieces are primarily white with shades of brown and black. Active during the 1970s-80s. Usually, but not always stamped on bottom. "Pohaku" is the Hawaiian word for stone."

Debora

dgbjwc and bercrystal like this.
  7. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

dgbjwc, Bakersgma and bercrystal like this.
  9. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted