Head of clay?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Betty Boop, Sep 24, 2022.

1. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Active Member

86FF93A7-FBA0-4004-B57D-5448E692CA3D.jpeg F6C837E1-DF08-449F-A8D1-74B5D31BC15E.jpeg BB1D4A7E-2F46-4008-9A96-9E8B92C100CC.jpeg 55907E33-52CF-4C00-A35E-747174C870B6.jpeg 8BE82D9C-8CD0-4B55-B030-EFDA75C4B86B.jpeg F6C837E1-DF08-449F-A8D1-74B5D31BC15E.jpeg Hi, any ideas about this guy? I don’t think he’s modern because the man I got it from said that it was his mother’s, and this guy was about 80. Measures about 2” wide. In glass frame which is sealed shut, so no shots from side or back. Thanks in advance!

Boland likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would guess a tourist piece, maybe from Veracruz.

Betty Boop likes this.
  3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The style is typical of fragments found at the site of Teotihuacan, in Mexico. There has been an active trade in reproductions and souvenirs in that area since at least 1906, when the Mexican government began official excavations. Looting had been going on since the middle of the 19th century.
    [​IMG]
    http://www.ancientresource.com/lots/precolumbian/teotihuanaca.html

4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Very interesting! That the trade and reproductions started so long ago. The one in the post in the glass frame looks old and antique (well to me)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
    Betty Boop likes this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

What does the glass frame or box look like? Also is that a newspaper back cover? Any dates on the newspaper perhaps? I would think that if you are truly serious and interested to really find out the age/origin then you will have to open the frame and take it out for close examination (well that’s what I would do)

6. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Active Member

Interesting point to consider the newspaper. Looks like it might be from Plano, TX. I might open the frame when I get back from traveling but it’s offering some protection until then :)

Boland likes this.
  7. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Let me know if you find the name of the newspaper. There have only been a few local papers in Plano. Also, since the city didn't take off until after desegregation, the newspaper clipping itself is most likely post '64...

8. Betty Boop

Betty Boop Active Member

Sorry, it said piano, not Plano. The ads are from New York City, and it seems like most of these companies were around late 19th century… Weber Piano-Fortes, Sapolio Soap, Stereopticons, Domestic Sewing Machine Company… the stereopticons are advertised by James W. Queen and it looks like their New York office may have been in operation from 1860-1893, or somewhere in that window. This piece was found in Connecticut, an hour or two from nyc.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted