Featured Heart of Glass 1976 film about ruby glass

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by scoutshouse, Sep 16, 2018.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Well, THIS is the image that sucked me into this film, and if you can brave a Herzog film (fast forwarding through interminable reveries), you may want to check this one out...

It's visually beautiful, and contains a lot of spiritual depravity, not a big surprise for a Herzog film.

The scenes in the foundry alone are fascinating. The story it tells of the loss of an invaluable formula, the local craftsmen and how it affects the economy (and sanity) of this weird little burg.

I found it on tubi and popcorn for free (commercials :()

2. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

The background story on the weirdly wooden, affected acting in the film has it that Herzog (we're fans, by the way -- Fitzcarraldo is a masterpiece, Woyzeck and Where the Green Ants Dream also brilliant, Cave of Forgotten Dreams a great documentary) had all his actors hypnotized (no, literally, as in "by a hypnotist") to get that effect. And that dazed, zombie-like ambience is what Chris Stein & Debby Harry were alluding to in the Blondie disco hit of the same name. Hypnotized zombies... the disco scene and disco music.

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. scoutshouse

That's fascinating, @BaseballGames - what a great idea! LOL

Herzog himself seemed hypnotized by his own stunning compositions.

i need help likes this.
  4. scoutshouse

Correction: can be seen on Shout Factory TV, not popcorn.

Wish I could remember which free channels have the least commercials. Damn roku! So good and so labor intensive.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I also like Herzog's films, although haven't seen any lately. And was not familiar with this one. Thanks for the insight!

6. scoutshouse

I, scoutshouse, hereby vow to start smoking pot, at least to watch Werner Herzog's films, and at the very at least to RE-watch "Heart of Glass!"

So looking forward to it!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
Draft saved Draft deleted