Featured Heavy, low-footed, old glass plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Mar 27, 2022.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I have way too much glass, but the weight of this highly polished, very clear, glass plate spoke to me and said "take me home". I don't know how to describe the bottom of the plate, which extends about an half and inch below the plate's surface, so I called it low-footed - maybe someone can give me the right term. It is obviously hand cut, as the two flowers have different middles. There are scratches on the bottom that indicate to me it is not new.

It is 10 inches in diameter and an astonishing 3 lbs 3 ounces in weight. Not a dinner plate, but something else. I'm not sure what. I don't know where it is from, what its purpose is or how old it is. Any answers, comments or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

IMG_4775 (3).jpg IMG_4776 (3).jpg IMG_4777 (3).jpg IMG_4779 (2).jpg IMG_4780 (1).jpg IMG_4781 (1).jpg IMG_4782 (1).jpg

Figtree3, judy, LauraGarnet02 and 2 others like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Meant to sit under something else maybe? Too small for a punch bowl plate. Not enough flat area for a serving plate.

Figtree3, judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. KikoBlueEyes

All good points. What would require such a heavy thick plate under it? Its the size of a regular dinner plate, so its not for serving. Complete mystery to me.

judy likes this.
  4. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

I would say lead crystal footed platter/cake plate - lead crystal does tend to be thick and heavy (in my limited knowledge of the subject)

Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

That’s interesting. It could hold a cake nicely. I didn’t think about lead crystal but that makes sense too. Thank you.

6. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

I have a hunch it is from the McKee Glass Company Innovation Line.
    This is only a hunch based on an ID of a big heavy pressed and cut glass bowl I did years ago.

The best keywords I can remember besides McKee Innovation are fire polished and wheel cut.

Eek! I hope this is not a wild goose chase by me blurting out wrong information.

Figtree3, bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

Great. I appreciate the lead. I am always willing to do research even when it doesn't work out because this is how I learn.

bercrystal likes this.
  8. evelyb30

Maybe a dessert bowl underplate or some such. For something drippy anyway.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  9. KikoBlueEyes

Are you calling my plate drippy? :wacky::)

10. evelyb30

More like I'm calling the users sloppy. Can't keep the drips off the table without help.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  11. KikoBlueEyes

I get that. Leaving a trail over your good tablecloth.

12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I agree with it being made by McKee. They made a similar vase, among other things, that is the heaviest vase I've ever hefted. I also think it's a cake plate.

13. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent. I haven't found anything yet, but I'll keep looking.

15. KikoBlueEyes

Wow. I had completely forgotten about this compote, but you are absolutely right - they both have the same design elements. Perhaps, that's why it spoke to me. It wanted to join its friend.

16. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

If the design in the bottom can be determined to be pressed glass, then it's almost gotta be McKee's. If its' cut, its not McKee, it's considerably better than McKee which was pressed glass with cut decorations.

dgbjwc, Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  17. KikoBlueEyes

How do I determine this. Then leaves are very deep.

18. Cherryhill

The leaves are cut in the McKee version, but the bottom is pressed. There's no way for me/us to determine if it's cut or pressed, from here. No way for me to instruct you, either, Sorry.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

So I examined it carefully. The two parts, bottom of the foot and the bottom of thee plate were done differently in my estimation. The bottom of the foot is definitely pressed. The flowers and leaves on the plate have been cut. Here are photos of the bottom of the plate with the pressed foot and the cut leaves and flowers.

IMG_4810 (1).jpg IMG_4801.JPG IMG_4802.JPG IMG_4805.JPG IMG_4806.JPG IMG_4779 (2) (1).jpg

So based on your excellent characterization of what to look for it must be McKee.
    This information also is really helpful in my evaluation of glass pieces. I really love EAPG and its early mimics, but also ABP glass. Can I use this to determine whether if all of the design is cut, it points to ABP, and if it is a mixture or only pressed to EAPG (if it is early enough) or is that too simplistic?

20. Cherryhill

If all of the design is cut, and you can determine if it were cut during the AB period, then yes, but glass has been cut for centuries, the American Brilliant period was a few short years.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted