Featured Heavy, Silver, Mid-East Cuff

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Gus Tuason, Jun 30, 2022.

1. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

Att: "Any Jewelry". I posted a similar but different cuff on 6/10/22. This cuff weighs 1.8 troy ounces. basically it is built very much like the other cuff. This one has Egyptian figures and is quite ornate. I was unable to find any marks. "Any Jewelry" identified the other cuff so well that I decided to put this one in for comments. P6300005.JPG P6300006.JPG P6300007.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

To get a member's attention, you need to "tag" that person by typing @ and then the member's user ID with no space between the @ and the ID.

3. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd be all over the outside looking for marks.

Aquitaine, Figtree3 and judy like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is a very nice North African souvenir bracelet. Not Middle Eastern.;)
    Similar cuffs with North African designs and those zigzag and twisted wires along the top and bottom are sold in the tourist resorts of Tunisia.
    These cuffs are usually plated, but I would certainly double check for marks. They could be on the outside and tiny, so use a loupe.

KSW, Firemandk, pearlsnblume and 6 others like this.
  6. Gus Tuason

In other words I would put in: "@Any Jewelry" in place of "Att: "Any Jewelry" in the same location? Interesting. Perhaps an example would help me.

KSW, komokwa, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

KSW, komokwa, Gus Tuason and 4 others like this.
  8. Gus Tuason

I do appreciate your expertise but must admit that your computer etiquette is interesting but pretty much lost on me. Your correction did make me research the "@" symbol and it's use. I'm fairly old at 87 and the computer came into my life fairly late. I do not even own an "eye" phone. I feel that I have other projects to do in the time that I have left, than to be too concerned about whether I use "@" or an "Att" to qet another person's attention. I do know that my use of "Att" did work. I really do appreciate your concern in trying to educate me and I welcome your corrections.

bercrystal likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @Gus Tuason !! Regardless of HOW you got @Any Jewelry's attention, you have it now, along with others!!!! But the "@" symbol on your keyboard is "key" to getting our attention!!!:happy::happy::joyful::joyful: Just look at their Avatar (little image on the left..and put the @ symbol RIGHT next to it!!! You'll get used to it!!!!
    In looking at your cuff, I circled a tiny area in RED near the center.....which looks like it "could" be a tiny mark that others are talking about....drag out a magnifying glass and see if you can see what I mean on your cuff!!! If you do see it, there will probably be other, DIFFERENT ones too!!! Put on some sharp eyes!!! Those marks will help identify it!

P6300005XX.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I do know that my use of "Att" did work...............

no....it really did not !!

Cheswick's tag to AJ.....is what worked....

cuz that's how we call out to each other...:rolleyes:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  11. Any Jewelry

Gus, I am not the one who corrected you, I merely confirmed what you asked.;)

And as @komokwa said, it was @charlie cheswick 's tag that alerted me. But I got here, that is what matters.

Please don't worry about 'tagging' (alerting) people. If it is too complicated, there are always people to help you, like charlie did.
    I have brain damage and also need help occasionally, which I always get from our wonderful fellow antiquers.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  12. Gus Tuason

Thank you for pointing that out. I went over that area with a loupe and then a microscope. Evidently just a blemish but looking it over very carefully I did find three marks in the outer embellishment. I did not get a clear pic. but I did the best I could. It was stamped into the pattern which helped confuse it. Also I noted the following on its construction: It is two or more pieces. One piece is the rolled design piece on the front. Second is the flat, clear piece on the back, or inside. Third (?) is the crisscross decoration strip about the edges. The joining of the two plates (1&2) are visible at the edge where the joint was filed down. I do think it is silver but almost could be called hollow ware. The joining shows in my original pics. If you can make heads or tails out of the marks I would appreciate it.
    P.S. I don't buy your "brain damage" comment at all! P7020008.JPG P7020008.JPG

13. Any Jewelry

That is how they often punch assay marks in North Africa. And from what I can see, that is a proper mark.
    You don't have to, but it is my reality.
    Four times encphalitis/meningitis left me with considerable brain damage and brain fatigue/overload. The basics for the things I know were formed before my first encphalitis/meningitis, it created brain synapses, which is why a lot of it is still accessible.
    Typing is exhausting for me becuase I have to correct nearly every word I type. Yet I do it, with many breaks in between. Being part of Antiquesr, seeing beautiful things, and participating is rewarding in so many ways.
    There are times that I can't walk, or walk extremely slowly with great effort. I can never walk more than 30 metres. There are also times I can't speak, sometimes months on end.
    Understanding things like filling in forms is generally impossible, which means there are a lot of things I can't get, including assistance.
    I have several other conditions as well, most are considered debiltating.

It is my daily reality, but you don't have to believe it if it doesn't suit you. I know people often can't handle it. They see one thing, but don't (want to) see the rest, so it isn't there.

bercrystal, Firemandk and komokwa like this.
  14. Gus Tuason

I didn't make that comment to be snippy. I made that comment in admiration of your amazing knowledge and your willingness to share that knowledge. I am in awe of you and have learned a lot from your comments. I only hope that I can retain some of your insights. I have many of your problems but I only attribute my problems to getting older and/or just plain ignorance. I can only say: Keep on trucking".

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

I'm sorry, I took it that way because you had already accused me of something I didn't do, and didn't acknowledge that or apologize. But I guess I was wrong.
    My brain issues started when I was 20, so not really all that old.;) Some other serious issues started in early childhood.

bercrystal and Gus Tuason like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

this is an emoji ......... :playful: and this ;) and this :happy: and this :confused:

using them often and correctly can make the difference in understanding ones intent...

Y'know..... so it doesn't look like you're insulting AJ !!!!!!! :mad:

Gus Tuason and Any Jewelry like this.
  17. Gus Tuason

:banghead::happy::) Interesting, and thank you for pointing that out. I thought that they were just a bunch of cartoon characters created by someone with too much time on their hands:playful:.

bercrystal likes this.
  18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Well they are but.... They're occasonally useful.

bercrystal, Any Jewelry and Firemandk like this.
  19. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@Any Jewelry ,You're amazing and knowledgeable and I can say I and many appreciate the time and effort you take to reply with your knowledge !!!!!!!!!!! :woot::D:cool::):shame::playful::happy::joyful::kiss:

Can I throw in a " Stinky feet " just because I have no reason to ever use it ???lol....:stinkyfeet:

Emoji's....who would have thought 40 or so years ago ????

20. Any Jewelry

Only if I can throw in a cyclops :cyclops: which I never understood the meaning of as an emoji.
    I was scared of them as a child, and after 60+ years I still feel a bit sick when i see paintings of them.:oops::nurse: Adding a cyclops emoji, like this one :cyclops:, is a bit like desensitization for me.:cyclops: So that is why I wanted to throw in a :cyclops:.:hilarious:

Btw, I don't know when to use a stinky feet:stinkyfeet: emoji either.
    Or some of the other ones.:penguin: Like the drowning:drowning: one. Presumably when I am :drowning:, I don't have access to a computer, or it will have drowned:drowning: and short-circuited.:confused:

bercrystal and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted