Featured heirloom Jewellery valuation rough estimate??

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MrMadhatter, Aug 28, 2018.

1. MrMadhatter

MrMadhatter Active Member

Just wondering if anyone might like to give a rough valuation on these rings? I will be getting these valued for insurance purposes but i know those valuations can be far higher than actual value.

I understand with diamond it all comes down to the CCCC, but rough guesstimates are very welcome.

First ring is the largest ring, its platinum, with a 6.5ct sapphire (believed to be natural) and 3 carats of 0.25 diamonds. total ring weight 8.8 grams.

resize one.jpg resize 2.jpg resize 3.jpg

Second ring is also platinum, 3.5carat, 1.5ct center stone, with 1ct stones either side. some colour to the stones, brilliant cut - total ring weight 5.69 grams.

d 2.jpg d one.jpg

Final ring, 1.4 ct diamonds, 1.5ct sapphire, 18ct gold and platinum. 5.2 grams total.

2 1.jpg 2 2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like quality.........but guessing at a price without being a gemologist....would be folly !

reader, James Conrad, Sandra and 6 others like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, but I'm with komo. It is impossible for anyone to make an estimate based on pictures.
    There is always a difference between insurance value and retail.

4. MrMadhatter

Ok cheers guys, I knew it would be a bit of an ask - do we have any idea what difference is between insurance and true value in the UK?

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not a clue, sorry. A lot of us are based in the USA, and even then the valuations can be all over the map. I'd get them evaluated by a licensed gemologist and go from there. Plain gold rings are one thing - any dram scale and an online scrap calculator will do for those. Stones like sapphires are difficult to appraise unless you have them in hand and know what you're doing. (which lets me out!)

6. MrMadhatter

Thank you, We will go ahead and do that, having them appraised buy an accredited gemologist next week.

Christmasjoy, judy and komokwa like this.
  7. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Anywhere, the assurance value is the replacement value (to get same in a shop...)
    "True value" is what amount of money you could get if you sell it (and if you are a good negociator, or don't try to sell to a shark;))
    This can be 100 vs 50!

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

In the UK, insurance value is often four to five times true or auction value. I own a diamond in platinum ring which someone paid £1500 for, and got offered not much more than £250 for it.

You could take a punt based on comparable rings, but the thing with sapphires, especially, is that values vary wildly by origin. More so than diamonds. I'd ask your insurance company to recommend a valuer, or, if you're close enough, mooch down to Hatton Garden. There's no UK wide accreditation scheme for gemologists here, and I think you need a decent high end jeweller. It'll cost. Some decent auction houses will do valuations as well, and those are reliable.

Bear in mind that some policies insist on doing any replacements themselves, as they can often get a far better deal than you can at retail.

9. MrMadhatter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thank you for the advice:) those are what the valuation place has so I think they are legit, well established local jeweler - the service is costing us but we are happy to pay. We wont be selling these so wont have to deal with sharks thankfully lol. I suspect they will be going back to the bank for safe storage after.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

If they're a decent local jeweller who you know, then that's as good a bet as any.

Christmasjoy, judy and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted