Featured Hello all! Is this a chatelaine? And a brooch xx

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BoudiccaJones, Sep 17, 2017.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

Hello!

032.JPG 030.JPG 031.JPG 032.JPG Got these from a booty last weekend...only invested pennies ( as always) and am curious to see what you think about these. I think the big one is part of a chatelaine? The brooch was with it and it's hollow.It's very lightweight, it has a marking that I can't really see even with a loupe but does look like squiggles and nothing else. It's two hollow halves and it's approx an inch square. Does anyone have any idea how old it is?

The second thing I now think could be a chatelaine? x It's approx 2 and a half inches by the same xx

Attached Files:

• 051.JPG
      051.JPG
      File size:
      60.3 KB
      Views:
    • 037.JPG
      037.JPG
      File size:
      58.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I took the liberty of adding your pictures in full image. Do you have bigger pictures? I can't see if there are additional rings to suspend chains and little objects from. The looped chain would be hanging down on a chatelaine, but maybe someone decided this was a nice look.

The brooch is late nineteenth century, a very nice find for pennies.
    Could you take a photo of the mark anyway? Maybe someone will be able to make out what it is.

3. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    Photos look good though please full image them all always. :)

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. BoudiccaJones

( I tried to upload them as they were, the server said TOO BIG so I had to make them small...sorry, don't know what's going on there...took me AGES as well as I had to do each one individually !)

I have LOADS of pics , but they just will not upload as is...hard to concentrate too, puppy here <3 x x

I am pretty sure it's a chatelaine and maybe someone has looped the bit around the bottom to make it pretty rather than functional?
    Many thanks for the replies...will work on pics ( when Pup is asleep!!)

5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

First try dragging and dropping them in your comment.
    ~
    If not that then make them 480xwhatever number is given.
    There should be a way in your computer to do them all at once.
    :)

judy, Christmasjoy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  6. BoudiccaJones

Thank you x x

I am sure there's an easier/better way than the way I was doing it...Pup was being a right Pup and I wasn't expecting to have to resize them at all. Hopefully when she's asleep, I'll be able to try dragging and/or work out how to do them all at once!
    It uploaded my profile pics OK...I need to take time and have a good look at what's going on x x

7. Any Jewelry

Boudicca, I like your new avatar picture.:):cool:

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Since no one's mentioned it, the first one is Victorian, I'm guessing circa 1870. It looks like the pin stem has been off and replaced at least once, if not properly. I'd take a loupe to that carefully to make sure it's not gold. It's probably gold-filled, but given the wacky things Victorian jewelers were known to do it might be the real deal. American jewelers often didn't mark anything. As for the second pin, a good shot of the back might tell us what it is and where it came from.

judy, BoudiccaJones and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Someone mentioned it:):
    The picture of the back was too small for me to say anything about the pin, that's why I didn't. From the small picture it looks like the hinge is damaged, or at least very loose. We definitely need bigger pictures.
    The second one is the possible chatelaine, which could be continental European, Dutch or German. Again, we need bigger pictures.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. evelyb30

From here it looks like the hinge is flat out gone, and someone stuck a pin stem into the hole where it was so that they could wear the pin.

judy and BoudiccaJones like this.
  11. BoudiccaJones

Thanks everyone...yes that makes sense, the stem is all gone The thing that's in it is a literal pin! I took it out to have a look. Put it back though.
    LOVE this board already!

Hope I can sort my picture thing out! Thanks everyone x xx

judy likes this.
  12. BoudiccaJones

Meant to say as well, I have louped it...there's a marking in the middle that's teeny and I cannot get a pic of it ( quelle surprise!) but does look like squiggles.
    It's so thin...and hollow. So lightweight. I love it.
    I get loads of stuffs from car boots etc so I may be here quite often! x x

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  13. Any Jewelry

We don't mind at all.:D

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  14. evelyb30

That could be a hallmark on the back. Portuguese marks and French ones tend to be bitty, and you pretty well need a microscope to read them.

15. BoudiccaJones

I have seen people take camera pics through loupes...I cannot manage that ! This pup is distracting me but I need to work on my Stuffs and my pics!

16. evelyb30

I do it on a regular basis. It's easier to do with a rug or stamp magnifier sometimes; those have built-in stands.

17. BoudiccaJones

Ooh that's an interesting idea! I bet I couldn't manage it even with that...when this pup settles I'm going to have to practice x x

Draft saved Draft deleted