Featured Hello all of you.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Jorge Peña, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Jorge Peña

Jorge Peña Member

20201013_070026.jpg 20201013_070223.jpg 20201013_070623.jpg Hola!
    I'm a new member thanks to the advice of one of your fellows. I wish to learn a lot in here.

My best wishes to all.

If someone can tell me something about these items I will be deeply grateful.

It's a set of rose gold pendant and bracelet, depicting birds made with feathers on mother of pearl. The pieces are signed and I wonder if someone knows anything about the artist and the time period of the work. It was my mother's, and I was planning on fixing a couple of flaws to give it to my God daughter. But I'm not sure if I should.

Let me know what you think

2. Rec

Rec Well-Known Member

welcome Jorge
    I don't know much about jewelry, but I see it is a quality piece; beautiful drawings and nice design. I like it very much. Let's wait what the others going to say. can you post a photo of the back in the meantime? and maybe a close-up of the clasp

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Lucille.b, KSW, Bronwen and 5 others like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hello, Jorge!

You may get better results if you post your item in the jewelry forum, rather than introductions.

4. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Please @Bookahtoo or @daveydempsey, could you move this post in Jewelry or antique discussion so they get more answers from those who may know?:kiss:

Wow! They are all superb:woot:
    Welcome on board, and... félicitations pour les photos!
    I have posted mine on CW where Jorge found them (and me:joyful:), had no precise identification of maker either...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Jorge! Those are gorgeous!

Lucille.b, KSW, Bronwen and 6 others like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They are stunning, Jorge, and welcome.
    Yours are amazing too, kyra.:happy: They look like buttons, am I right? In that case maybe our button collector @DragonflyWink recognizes them.:)

7. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

I could be way off base, but back in the 1950s, 60s these were popular and expensive. You could custom order what you wanted in the button, ie. your birds. Most that I remember seeing had horses and dogs.
    There are a few on eBay.

Lucille.b, KSW, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Those are neat.

Lucille.b, KSW, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  9. kyratango

AJ, right, buttons!:kiss:
    I didn't know Cheryl collected buttons too!:woot:

Lucille.b, KSW, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Ughhh, I really need to find my box of button books. I believe another member of the forums has 'The Big Book of Buttons', perhaps @say_it_slowly - but will say that it's a very large book, and can take time to look through. I've seen a few of these buttons over the years, mounted in precious as well as base metal, and forgive me if my memory fails me, but want to say that they date to the late 18th-early 19th century (the 'omega' shank on Kyra's buttons originated around that time, but certainly also used much later). I have not seen jewelry with the feather birds, but the bracelet, aside from the screw-top bezels, reminds me of some Georgian agate bracelets. Sorry - that's all I've got...

Since I was fifteen, Kyra, when my great, great Aunt Karen gave me a huge jar of buttons dating from the late 19th century into the mid 20th - have sold off quite a few, but still have a decent-size collection packed away, haven't really actively collected for many years.

~Cheryl

Lucille.b, KSW, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  11. Jorge Peña

Jorge Peña Member

20201013_113034.jpg 20201013_114932.jpg 20201013_115713.jpg 20201013_113034.jpg 20201013_114932.jpg
    Did my best trying to do take a close up of the clasp with my cellphone....
    Looking at the back of the bracelet isn't easy since it does not have a lock. But i did my best!! Thank you @Rec

12. Any Jewelry

Full image:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. kyratango

Good job! It seems it has no clasp at all! How can it be put on the wrist? If you plan to give it to your god-daughter, you could ask a jeweller to install one, in place of the damaged one (where the mother of pearl is cracked:)

14. kyratango

:kiss:Thank you Cheryl! :woot:Now you'll have to unpack your buttons... And SHOW:joyful:

15. Jorge Peña

Jorge Peña Member

I imagine you have to make your hand get inside. It is not the mother of pearl that's craked but the glass covering the art. That's one of the flaws I'm willing to repair but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to open such a delicate thing and/or perhaps making it less valuable. I would like to open the pendant too since the peacock moved from its original place. I don't know if any jeweler would be fit for the task :bag:

Thank you all anyway. I appreciate a lot your comments. Would love to move the post to a wider forum too!!

Lucille.b, kyratango, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  16. kyratango

Ah! that's good news for the damage! Better the glass than the mother of pearl where the bird is constructed:)
    The "protrusions" must show a very tiny screw head as on eye glasses. An old style watch repairer will have the skills, minute screwdrivers and glass replacement!

17. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WHAT an absolutely STUNNING bracelet and pendant, Jorge!!!! And WELCOME to ANTIQUERS!!!! That's a lovely idea to give it to your God daughter....but I think maybe depending on her age.....just be sure she's old enough to understand/realize what a treasure this set is!!!! It's something to be well taken care of!!!! And listen to above in getting a new clasp for the bracelet!!!:happy::happy::happy:

18. kyratango

Right!!! very fragile, must not get wet!

19. Jorge Peña

Jorge Peña Member

Thank you so much for your appreciation. She's is now 16 and I think she deserves having it (I'm single and w/out kids).
    I'm happy you find it as lovely as I do!
    I will strongly consider to look at the clasp options and try to find a watch repairer as Kyra suggested.

It makes me very nervous though...

Abrazos a todos. Muchas gracias!!

Lucille.b, kyratango, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Draft saved Draft deleted