Hello all,

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by johnd83, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Johnd83, As you look at the posts here, things will start to attract your attention more than others, and then you will have a better idea. Enjoy!

afantiques likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

If you're looking to collect, try going to flea markets, antique stores, museums etc and see what interests you. Focus on learning more about what you find interesting and see where it leads you.

Ebay can be a great place to buy if you know what you're looking at though it can be full of pitfalls (but it's very useful in seeing what sells.)

If you're thinking of buying to sell you'll need to watch what people are actually buying and follow trends. Some things that were collected and prized 10 years ago may have little value now for example. You will have to buy at a very good price in order to make anything when you sell.

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. johnd83

johnd83 New Member

I have picked up a few names. Wedgwood, ladro, caithness Poole.

4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Ah, a possible PGPer (Pottery, Glass and Porcelain)!

5. johnd83

johnd83 New Member

Yes and also like furn

6. johnd83

johnd83 New Member

Furniture but mainly pottery and glass

kentworld likes this.
  7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'm a glassie by nature, but tend to pick up an eclectic mix of things that catch my eye. Trouble is, too MANY things catch my eye. I realized today I have too much furniture. My son found a nice old Captain's desk that he wanted to give me and we couldn't find anyplace to fit it in!

8. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi John,
    Run Run Run away as fast as you can. It is a sickness and never goes away. Although we all understand and will back you up.:p
    greg

9. johnd83

johnd83 New Member

Any tips. Am I in the right track with the names mentioned :)

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

There's no simple answer. The names you gave are good names. There are thousands of others. All these companies produce(d) top range stuff. They also produced low range stuff. Most names don't guarantee sales. On top of that, there's the fundamental question of fashion - what's hot today may not be tomorrow.

11. say_it_slowly

If you are looking to sell items you need to have a source where you can acquire them at a reasonable price. If you find items you think might have resale value, research recent sale prices, calculate any costs involved including fees and see if there is any money left to be made (to suit you). Good names are good to have but without knowing which of their items have resale value you can invest too much if you're not careful.

If you are thinking of collecting then buy what you like.

In my personal collecting, after many years of buying practical useful things while trying to stay true to my likes I finally one day just gave myself permission to start buying what I really wanted (within my budget). Sounds silly but that's about it.....gave myself permission. I should probably revoke that permission about now, it's getting crazy around here :rolleyes: so watch out!

afantiques likes this.
  12. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If you are looking to collect Wedgwood and LLadro (yes there are 2 "L"s.); now would be a good time to be buying.

These pieces are not selling well, (at least in my area), so prices are lower than they were a few years ago. If you do your research and buy undamaged pieces, you should do ok.

If you are buying to resell. Only buy dirt cheap, as it is going to sit at high prices.

Sorry, don't know anything about Caithness or Poole.

13. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Messilane likes this.
  14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Where are good places to buy from you. I a complete beginner.

It depends on where you live & what is available.

Some of the folks on this board have fantastic luck at thrift stores. I have not had any luck at all with them where I live.

There are also finds to be had at flea markets & yard/garage/estate sales, but you have to be willing to get there early usually to get the cream of the crop.

I get the majority of the stuff I list at a local auction house, but not everyone has one that is convenient or has such a variety of items available.

I also shop a local consignment shop for mostly newer collectibles, china & crystal.

Like others have said, you need to go out & spend time looking at what is available & then do your research before buying. If you are buying for resale the best thing you can have is internet access with you while you are shopping. I have really cut down on the items I would buy only to find out they weren't as great as I thought they were since I got my I-pad with Verizon connection last September. You can use reference books for ID's but 99.99% of the times the value they put on an item is way off base.

Spending time reading different threads where folks are seeking ID's is a great way to get a free education. Also make sure you follow the Great Finds thread & the Great Finishes thread. You would be amazed sometimes what some items that you wouldn't look at twice will sell for here on ebay.

One of the best pieces of advice someone gave me many years ago is that you have to learn how to buy things that you do not like if you want to make a profit on your items.

afantiques likes this.
  15. johnd83

johnd83 New Member

Where is a good place for research. I was looked at a royal crown vase today £4

16. johnd83

johnd83 New Member

Sorry crown devon

17. say_it_slowly

18. johnd83

johnd83 New Member

Yes I am in England

19. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    My advice is to go to Af's shed and look around, do not take anything, leave it for me to snatch.
    greg

kentworld likes this.
  20. johnd83

johnd83 New Member

I really like pottery and glass. I was going to buy a bit of silvac. It was a small dog figure

Draft saved Draft deleted