Featured Hello and advice on monograms please

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Kisa, Oct 7, 2019.

?

Should one use sterling flatware with monograms that are not your own or that of an ancestor?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

ahem ..ah yes, unless of course it was the monogram of Catherine the Great/Anastasia/Queen Elizabeth the first etc ..then I suppose an exception could be made? :joyful::joyful:

Kisa, komokwa and Sandra like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I would get those to a prestigious auction house asap.;)

Kisa, Christmasjoy and Sandra like this.
  3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Get the monogramed set. Remember years ago the initials for silver were the Brides initials NOT the grooms. As to famous I have a set of sterling from the White House in Washington. A little girl was hired by the White House at age 14 to help in the kitchen she loved polishing the silver. She worked there until her 75 birthday. When asked what she wanted as a retirement gift she wanted a set of Sterling which she had polished for years.
    It was granted and several years after her death the family had a well known auction house sell the silver. I bought it and have used it for years. I think of all the famous people which might have used the silver in their day.
    greg

sch3gsd, Kisa, Christmasjoy and 12 others like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Great story Greg. Love it. Oh if that silverware could talk.

Christmasjoy, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Welcome Kisa. I'm a flatware junkie (spoons in particular) and am rather fond of monograms, while I try to match them to family names, have no problem with any others, they are sometimes tiny little works af art, and regardless, they add to the history. The old pic below is a pair of Gorham Nuremberg demitasse spoons, would guess that the large monogram is the initials of a couple married on the engraved date of Mar. 28. 1891, the later engraved initials, fit in over the monograms, have the same surname initial, so suppose they were engraved for the next or a later generation - they were thrown in when I bought a nice 12-spoon presentation case because of the 'ugly engraving', and I love them. If you like the fish set, and the monogram isn't going to bother you personally (your opinion is what matters), then buy it...

gorhamnurembergengraved.jpg

Would like to compliment you on your table setting choices - King Cedric is very nice, originally introduced in 1933 as a silverplate pattern, reintroduced in sterling in 1949, one of those patterns that goes well with both contemporary and traditional settings, and your china and glassware choices are also quite lovely, simple and elegant.

~Cheryl

Kisa, Christmasjoy, kyratango and 8 others like this.
  6. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

When I was on the antique show circuit, there was a lady that would show up at shows in Florida and Georgia on the lookout for sterling teaspoons and coffee spoons monogrammed with a single initial. She gifted them to friends and family with the corresponding initial. I thought this was a charming thing to do and would put any I encountered aside for her, I could usually buy them cheaply enough that I could sell them to her in the $10-$15 dollar range. Everyone was happy.

7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

My Mom used to do that - she'd combine the spoon with an antique cup & saucer, gourmet coffee and/or tea, and some home-baked treat, or a tin of her famous Christmas cookies (for decades, she'd make at least 20 different types every year). After her sister's passing, she retrieved the spoon with a 'K' she'd given her, and used it almost every day...

~Cheryl

8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I wasn't referring to jewelry. That is an entirely different realm.
    I was referring only to silverware and hollow-ware.
    I would never consider you a stick in the mud.:kiss::cat:

9. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

My great grandparents had a set of sterling (I think) children's spoon engraved with the names of each of their 6 children. I have them now and there is my grandmother Elsie and her brothers and sisters. At her funeral, I got to put faces to the names on several of the spoons. A nice memory!

I love beautifully monogrammed and hand chased silver and would use it at every opportunity! Most are works of art.

Any Jewelry, Sandra, Kisa and 6 others like this.
  10. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Oh, even on jewelry!
    I’m in love with this kind of monogram, paste on blue crystal, so... bought it and wear it:joyful: 4744C1CD-BEF6-4D20-BF0B-8CED77AF9F54.jpeg

11. Kisa

Kisa Member

No "Zorros" in the family tree?

12. Kisa

Kisa Member

Thank you for your welcome.

i need help likes this.
  13. Kisa

Kisa Member

Thank you!

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  14. Kisa

Kisa Member

Wow!

kyratango likes this.
  15. Kisa

Kisa Member

Thank you all for your input. I do really love the set and am happy I've gotten the go ahead from all of you knowledgeable folks. As the conversation has broadened to include linens, jewelry, etc., I'd like to add my own pet peeve - designer's initials on clothing, handbags, etc. If I want an initial on a belt buckle (I do have a silver buckle with my dad's initials that I had put on a belt of mine), it will be my own, not Louis Vuiton's or Ralph Lauren's. Chanel's CC don't bother me as much.

SBSVC, Any Jewelry, Sandra and 3 others like this.
  16. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Seconded
    No point in advertising for these people.

SBSVC, Any Jewelry, Kisa and 4 others like this.
  17. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

Agreed!

Kisa and kyratango like this.
  18. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

I never minded the Chanel one either, until I read that it reminded Diana of you-know-who. For some reason that pathetic little factoid stuck in my craw. :(

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Kisa likes this.
  19. Any Jewelry

:happy::kiss:

20. Any Jewelry

I'm the same.;)
    The only name I ever had on a T-shirt was Paul Gauguin's signature. He never designed the T-shirt (or any other) of course, but he is one of my favourite painters.

Kisa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted