Hello Folks. New Member Checking in from Ohio!!!!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Kevin Meade, Jun 18, 2018.

1. Kevin Meade

Kevin Meade Well-Known Member

Hi Folks.

Figured I should make my first post here and then start to check out the other sections of the forum.
    I stopped into the forum through a link to the tribal arts section and thought I would sign up and share some of my finds from time to time. I have way too many interests and I see a lot of them are covered in this forum so it makes sense to be a member and share in the fun.
    I dig for old bottles and walk fields for Indian artifacts and my wife and I collect African Tribal art together. I think the larger part of our collection is likely made for tourist trade , but maybe I will find a few are hidden treasures. We try to only collect nicer pieces , but in African Tribal art that can be open to interpretation. We also have some nice Sahara Neolithic stuff.
    Anyway , just getting in my HELLO to all you fine folks!

By the way , the Avatar is our family pet "Bent Twig" the 17 year old cat.

Kevin.

2. Barn Owl

Barn Owl Well-Known Member

Hello, Kevin! :) Welcome to the forum!

3. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

A big welcome to you Kevin, and an even bigger welcome to "Bent Twig."

Just curious . . . how did your pretty kitty cat come to be named "Bent Twig"?

Christmasjoy, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Kevin! :)

5. Kevin Meade

Thank you for the welcome!

Twig got his name in the same fashion as all the family pets we have had. They all get Indian names. Our black lab that we had the pleasure of being around for 14 years was named Shawnee. Our Chocolate lab that we also had for 14 years was named Cheyenne.
    Twig got his name a bit different. Our 2 daughters brought this little stray kitten home and asked if he could stay. We were all sitting down watching a movie called Almost Hero's. A comedy about a group of misfits trying to beat Lewis and Clark to the West Coast. On their adventure they came across a crazy Indian named Bent Twig. Just as they met the Indian the crazy kitten came flipping across the floor like it was having seizures and just having a ball. So , the name just fit.

Kevin.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Kevin!

Can you tell we love our kitties as much as we love old stuff? :cat:

7. Kevin Meade

I can certainly tell...lol
    Twig is getting up there in years but still is indoor/outdoor. Nothing better to him than going out at 2:30a.m. and staying out until we get up at 5:30 -6a.m. He doesn't roam far anymore but still has to make his rounds.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Greetings Kevin, and welcome Bent Twig! Genie the Houdinicat says welcome too.

9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

This is my neighbor's cat, Lizzie May, who thinks she lives with me. ;) She's about 14 now, but this pic was taken in 2009.

Lizzie May 2009.jpg

10. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    From a fellow Ohioan - located a bit west of Cleveland.

Christmasjoy, kyratango, judy and 2 others like this.
  11. Kevin Meade

Hi Rayo. Nice to see another Ohioan. A neighbor of sorts. I am about 50 minutes West of Cleveland.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  12. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Then were pretty close as I'm around 30 minutes West of Cleveland - about 10 minutes South of Lake Erie.
    You may even know where this picture was taken from.....
    000_2154.jpg

13. Kevin Meade

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Greetings....
    African art is a huge business and can be a morass for the untrained eye.

15. Kevin Meade

Thank you for the greeting komokwa.
    I have been in the muddy waters for years. Unfortunately my eyes are still very untrained. I buy what feels/looks good to us as a piece of art for the house , but there is always the hope of having some truly old/good pieces in the collection.
    We have never spent "big" money on an African item so it is likely most of our collection was made for trade.
    We try to stick with items that are easily associated with particular tribes , but some pieces can be hard to place.

16. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Just saying HI, Kevin, and welcome - from one "black cat parent" to another!

I have Joseph (in my avatar, - he's 16) and Cushi (rhymes with sushi - short for Mercutio) who just turned 16 yesterday! Here's Cushi:
    img0 (7).jpg

17. Kevin Meade

18. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Another cat with a disdainful stare? DSCF8209.JPG

19. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Is there any other kind?

Christmasjoy, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  20. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Welcome to the forum! I'm an Ohioan too but hail from the Southern part of the state. You will find a lot of varied interests here, from jewelry to art pottery to books and everything in between.

Draft saved Draft deleted