Featured Hello! Is this a medal? 1906..seems small though. Oh could be a fob

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by BoudiccaJones, Jun 11, 2018.

1. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

As an aside ~ @afantiques ... do you live near Hay On Wye? ( No idea where I got that from,so if not, sorry :O )

I know Hay really well, my Grandad and Uncles were firemen there. Grandparents lived at Black Swan (just off the bridge, not the posh one.)
    Hay is my fave place ever. xx

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  2. BoudiccaJones

Well, looking at those,I probably have more as well,I just didn't really think about what they were! So I have learned something today, I'll know what they are for future booting purposes!

Thank you everyone as always x x

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

We have a part time retreat near Talgarth, for a couple of decades regulars at the Hay Festival, and I must have bought a thousand books in Hay over the years so I know it pretty well including what may be the only greengrocer in Wales to sell Kent cobnuts in season and it was the Three Tuns near the bridge (it was certainly the one just past the turn to the bridge heading from the town) where I had the best fish and chips in my life and I have had a lot of fish and chips. Unhappily the owners closed the pub a few weeks later before I was able to get back for more.The Black Swan may now be the Swan Hotel.
    I know the general area pretty well, when there we eat a lot from George the Butcher in Talgarth and Georgina's deli. I even speak a few words of Welsh. My partner is half Welsh and she has a fair bit of conversational Welsh, for some years we had a stall at the Builth Wells antique fair where this could be handy, although it is not a very Welsh speaking area. I don't remember mentioning it, though in thousands of posts I probably have done in some antique connection.
    Mpst of the time we live somewhere much more urban, although as I write this I can smell, not traffic fumes but the honeysuckle blossom round my open window.

4. BoudiccaJones

The Three Tuns,that was Lucy...my grandparents knew her well,so did I actually. She used to have a little Jack Russell and I'd sit on the Black Swan wall and watch him going up and down the three steps outside The Three Tuns. Was a simple childhood I had :D
    Their house was opposite, the Black Swan, not the Hotel...was an old coaching inn but when they had it it was a house. With the tyre next door ( The tyre was my other Gran's)
    This one:
    :[​IMG]

I have a radar for Hay being mentioned ,you must have mentioned it in passing a while ago.
    I am like an elephant for useless facts. Things that are useful, I am not so good at.
    I also live somewhere more urban, and again like you I have honeysuckle around the window and door and that's all I can smell. It is my fave scent of all time. I have lilac too, another fave smell but that's gone over now xxx
    My dad is convinced he can speak Welsh, he went to Gwerynfed ( My Grandad used to drive the school bus) but he can't.
    Thank you for your lovely reply xx

Figtree3 and clutteredcloset49 like this.
  5. BoudiccaJones

[​IMG]
    Can just see the three steps which gave me so much amusement

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted