Help aging a milk bottle

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by prestoncohunter, Aug 13, 2019.

1. prestoncohunter

prestoncohunter Well-Known Member

Any help is appreciated. The bottle is from the Queen City Cooperative Dairy in Cumberland MD. Most milk bottles I have found have been square to make packing easier and I assume this one is older but really don't know. Haven't found much about the Dairy involved either.

[​IMG]

I found some info on the web that made me think the 11 could be a date (meaning 1911) but have no idea what the B S Q would be.
    [​IMG]

It has a mold line on both sides that runs the entire length.
    [​IMG]

Have seen some for sale and they appear to be selling for around 9 dollars but no real information other that being listed as "vintage".

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joe2007 likes this.
  2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

The bulbous top held the cream.

One could pour off the cream to save for their coffee, or mix it in with the milk.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

5. prestoncohunter

Yes like the one you posted, obviously different dairy but same design.

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  6. prestoncohunter

No patent date on the bottle that I have found.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I'm not sure when they stopped bottling this way, but I'm pretty sure up til the 50's anyway. Maybe a bit later too.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  8. prestoncohunter

This article https://www.drloriv.com/Tips/ID/4349/Collectible-Milk-Bottles
    is what made me think the 11 might be a date code based on this paragraph from the article.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  9. judy

judy Well-Known Member

10. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

11. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Items like this usually have some local interest. You may be able to find out more information about the dairy by contacting The Allegany County Historical Society.
    Don

UncleChuckTX, i need help and judy like this.
  12. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I know for a fact that at least 1 dairy still used "cream on the top" bottles in the late 1950's in Nassau County, NY (Long Island.) My great-aunt lived in Wantagh and always had bottles like this (which I don't think we had at home.)

Draft saved Draft deleted