Help Bracelet Signed "MEXICO"

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Joan, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

The only mark on this bangle bracelet is "MEXICO." I don't have a silver tester, so I'm wondering if this is silver plated or alpaca. I have other pieces of Mexican jewelry that are signed alpaca, but have never seen a piece that's stamped Mexico with no other marks. The bracelet was tarnished and didn't show any signs of a plated finish wearing off when I polished it. Has anyone seen this type of mark? Do you know whether the bracelet is new or old?
    MexicoBangle-1.jpg MexicoBangle-2.jpg MexicoBangle-3.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's an ugly mark.....with no silver mark.....I'd be thinking it's newer...and not silver..

judy likes this.
  3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you....you're most likely right.

komokwa likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The outside says "dunno" but the inside says modern costume.

5. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thanks. The inside does look like modern costume in my photo, but in real life it looks handmade and I can see the seam where it was soldered together.

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That spun look is what I was referring to, along with the color; the texture is almost always costume.

7. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Define handmade. It looks like it was cast,where is the solder seam?

8. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I think my photo of the inside is kind of deceptive -- it doesn't really have a spun texture, but has a sort of uneven slightly wavy feel when I run my fingers around the inside. It also has a few teeny nicks here and there. The pattern on the outside repeats, but there are some slight variations from one section to the next. There's a little spring to it when I squeeze the whole bracelet in my hand, and if I pressed hard enough I could probably turn it into an oval. Maybe it's silver plated brass?? Attached are more photos. MexicoBangle-3a.jpg MexicoBangle-4.jpg MexicoBangle-5.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

This photo shows the edge where it was joined together. Would the ends of the wax model have been joined together before it was cast? Or would it have been cast as a flat strip, then shaped into a circle and soldered together afterwards? MexicoBangle-6.jpg

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

cast as a flat strip,...I'd say....the design seems to repeat itself...

11. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

You're right, the design does repeat but has slight variations.

12. Hollyblue

Looks like it was cast flat and then hand bent some what round and the ends soldered.After soldering probably put over an iron pipe and hammered round which would explain the uneven inside surface,then sanded and not polished on the inside.

Joan likes this.
  13. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there are any modern-day jewelry makers in Mexico "cranking out" quantities of cast bangle bracelets -- silver plated? I've looked online, but the silver plated Mexican jewelry I found was mainly made out of wire. Bangle or cuff bracelets were gold plated.

14. Hollyblue

15. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted