Help! Can anyone identify anything in or about this oil painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mo Bjornestad, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Mo Bjornestad

Mo Bjornestad Well-Known Member

C49068DD-199E-4F06-99C3-973EB37308CD.jpeg Not signed
    But maybe I see something in the closeup of a section of the wall

I hope someone recognizes the designs in woman’s skirt and man’s hat

14” by 18”
    Not a traditional stretcher, it is thiner, and the canvas lighter too. 6E51ACB9-B204-4A8D-AEB3-3E867E7BDE42.jpeg 6808101B-D85C-4520-BA92-067EB277BBEF.jpeg B1FEA36F-9DA9-4C7A-B7CF-14C028B6936E.jpeg 32B50076-B07A-4DAA-990F-9030CFF527A7.jpeg BB32E4A1-CFC3-43D2-BDB2-5FBFAE8D48FA.jpeg

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi Mo.....I love your colorful Avatar!! Is there any chance you can take a higher resolution picture of the WHOLE painting?? Your pictures are clear enough, just not big enough for me to blow them up and fiddle with to look for a potential signature in Photoshop.....unless that's something you can do!! If you do post higher res, just remember they have to be under 1 MB each! Thanks!!

I'm going to tag @Any Jewelry -- she may have some input as to where the scene may be from....others may have some suggestions as to how to preserve that 'canvas' from fraying any further....I really like the painting itself!!

3. Mo Bjornestad

5C24C01A-AE49-4602-955C-886B1ACE482B.jpeg
    Does this help BBD7DAF0-8EA3-4AED-846C-67EB645AED24.jpeg

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't help. The couple reminds me of native South American, but the caps are not familiar to me and the long white embroidered skirt is not South American Indian.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was thinking South American, too. One of the Andean countries, mostly from the facial features and the blanket around her shoulders.

6. Mo Bjornestad

Would you comment on the quality of the work?

Does the wall design offer a clue?

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The wall design is another thing that gives it an Andean feel. It looks vaguely like Inca administrative architecture, which uses smaller and more rectangular stone blocks than other Inca architecture.
    But these blocks are too long, and the corners are not rounded.

It is well-painted, good quality.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  8. Aquitaine

The larger images I will see if I can find anything!! Thanks for doing that!!!

Mo Bjornestad and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. Mo Bjornestad

Great, also there may be something just under the edge her skirt

10. Aquitaine

Hi Mo, I did not see anything under the edge of her skirt, but did you see the very distinct "AR" behind her shoulder?? One of the areas I Highlighted, as well as 5 others.... anything I perceived as letters....6 in all.....BUT I thought #6 really looked like a VERY FAINT signature and in about the right place....(lower right).....best seen at 300%....you DO know that you can blow up images on the computer even more by holding down the "CTL" key while scrolling FORWARD with the mouse, don't you? Have a look.....and in #6....it's the TOP area.....there seems to be more letters lower in the block too....less discernible.

zzzBBD7DAF0-8EA3-4AED-846C-67EB645AED24.jpg

zzzLargerSignt.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  11. Mo Bjornestad

wonderful tip - thank you
    I do see something in several of the images - I am unable to make anything out of them that might mean something.
    Have a look at this - brick on top left - maybe - ?ETFer , may also be something to the left of this brick
    painting coupe 180612.png

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  12. Aquitaine

I DO see what you're seeing, don't think I made it any clearer....but I feel either the lower right (#6) OR what you just found Upper left brick would be potential logical places for a signature!! It's SO hard to get a clear image.....I think we'll be driving ourselves crazy from this point on.....but here is both yours (from above- slightly enhanced) and my try.....I think your may be clearer! zzzCRNR BRICKS.jpg ZZZpainting coupe 180612.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Mo Bjornestad

Nice work - seems like there is something there - maybe enough to try guessing on a few signature finder passes. Do you use a signature finder you like - ?

Thank You very much -

14. Aquitaine

No, personally I don't, but I think others may.........

15. Mo Bjornestad

16. Mo Bjornestad

17. Mo Bjornestad

I did this something wrong and lost my message basically it said I used signaturefinder.com and put in the letters that I could see And periods for letters I didn’t know
    .ET.K and got a list of 100 names I tried a few that could possibly fit Looked at several but ran out of time - The picture above by KETZEK 08F7BAB8-1776-4EB7-BEB3-A7BC23FF79C6.jpeg

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a weaving from my Croatian exchange student that has a similar pattern as do other textiles from Eastern Europecroatian textile patterns

Draft saved Draft deleted