Help date these clothes pins

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by HippAntiques, Mar 22, 2020.

1. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

I came across these clothes pins, and they appear to be old. But when I try looking them up, they're all over the place as far as dates. Based on how the metal part is shaped, they look older to me- but not sure HOW old. I'm just curious. Thanks! getPart.jpg getPart-1.jpg

2. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I have an identical one in my hand right now. It came off my clothes line. Maybe 10 -15 years old?

judy likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I remember that style from the 50's when I was a kid.

4. HippAntiques

HippAntiques Well-Known Member

If they were only 10-15 yrs old, I'd think they would look like this? The wood on mine looks older too.....hmmm..... General_Brand_GS4850SM_Clothes_Pins_1545854791000_221600.jpg

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

Older than 1950 because I was born in 1940 and when I was about 5-6, I used to help hang washing on the line. I would put two of those pins in my mouth at a time from Gram's clothes pin bag and go hang up a towel or wash cloth and then come back and get two more and something else to hang. Never were the pins left out on the line and hers looked as old as those pictured.:shame::shame:

6. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I still use lookalikes too. Age would not make them any more valuable than they already are to hang clothes outdoors to dry.......drying outdoors is going green...........I never stopped.....:D

pearlsnblume and antidiem like this.
  7. Barbara W. Preston

Barbara W. Preston Active Member

I was not concerned about the value, but just knew that they looked just like Gram's that I used. Thank you for your reply.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  8. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Barbara.....my apologies for my reply sounding flippant. Reading back on it, I'm sorry to say it sounds that way.

I guess I've been using them so long, I never thought how they must have changed during the years.

:shame:

9. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a cloth bag that hangs on the clothesline that my mother used full of these and I still use them. No idea how old they are.

judy and stracci like this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I think it depends on how long they were outside. If kept outside all the time they could be just a couple years old and still look like that.

judy likes this.
  11. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Wonder when this clip style replace the pet type?

[​IMG]

I agree that in addition to the weathering of the wood, the heavy springs look more heavily built than later ones I remember, but that's a very tentative conclusion.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted