Featured Help dating an antique ring, please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MartinJS, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The material of the ring has not been confirmed and cannot be dated.

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

No...but folks can give their thoughts on the matter !!!!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. The swede

The swede Active Member

1. The Swedish import mark guarantee 18 K gold. The setting of the diamonds is obviously not platinum but silver used in the 19th century.

KSW, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Hollyblue

Can you prove it is silver?

5. komokwa

6. Hollyblue

7. MartinJS

MartinJS Member

Thanks for the help everyone.
    The shank of the ring holds the line for 18K and the setting around the diamonds tested for silver.
    Is it possible that this quintessential Georgian style diamond setting can be from the early 1800's and added to a ring shank from the early 1900's?
    I also love the extra info regarding the engraved Norwegian? rose at the interior of the ring. I want to look into that some more.
    Thanks again!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    kyratango likes this.
  8. Hollyblue

The whole shank test 18K or just the lower half? Is the lower part the shank yellow gold or yellow plated white gold? In the photo the flower area and other areas appear to have been yellow gold plated.

9. MartinJS

MartinJS Member

The entire bottom half of the shank tests for 18K and is solid yellow. The upper half to where the diamonds are tests 18K but IS a yellow-plated white gold, and then the diamond section is silver. Below the diamonds, where the Norwegian?Rose is located, is also gold plated white gold.

KSW likes this.
  10. Hollyblue

It would be interesting to know what the alloy is in the ring shank, nickle or palladium. It may be a Frankenstein piece with the shank made after 1920.

KSW likes this.
  11. MartinJS

MartinJS Member

Hmmm... what is a "Frankenstein" piece?

KSW likes this.
  12. Hollyblue

A piece that has been put together from different pieces like Frankenstein.

13. komokwa

can you prove that ?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Hollyblue

Just a guess based on the OP's answers among other things. It has a Swedish control/import mark,so they didn't check the metal content.It's marked 18K,If American made it would be illegally marked for metal content.

15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

What do you base that statement on? I don't know of any European country that would be so sloppy as to not test before they punched an official mark.
    And I certainly wouldn't expect that level of carelessness from Sweden. Why, they are almost as bureaucratic as we Dutch are.;)

As it says below, the import mark is only applied to gold of at least .750, with the exception of watch cases, which are allowed to be at least .585. The tolerance is .005.
    Are you saying they accepted, assayed and stamped without checking the metal content?

upload_2020-11-24_13-9-56.jpeg

This is from the link you yourself posted when you said that @komokwa didn't understand what was going on. The link is to a leaflet on present day Swedish marking:

"The control mark indicates that an independent inspection body (assay office) has assessed the amount of the precious metal (fineness) of the article."

Are they fibbing? Or do you suggest that they only started to check metal content on january 1st 2000, and before that they were either corrupt or they had no idea what they were doing?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    KSW, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  16. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Import marks mean testing was done. Howlingly illegal not to do so. And it's a government office that does this.

KSW, komokwa, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  17. MartinJS

MartinJS Member

Hi there, Plus, as I said, I cleared this up with the fact that the shank DOES test positive for 18K solid YELLOW gold, not plated nor plated white gold.

So, I'm coming to the conclusion that, at the very least, the shank is from the early 1900's since it has the "importation since 1912" control mark.

Now I want to find out more about the bridge and mounting, and the diamonds, which are very much not in the style of early 1900's, unless it is a reproduction. If it is a reproduction, I guess it is a very well done one to get all the peculiarities of a Georgian ring. here are more photos:

KSW, komokwa, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Exactly. So maybe someone else doesn't understand what is going on.:rolleyes:

19. MartinJS

MartinJS Member

More photos: IMG_0446.jpg IMG_0447.jpg IMG_0444.jpg

komokwa, kyratango and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

The style continued well after the Georgian period, and if I understand correctly they used white gold for your ring, which would date it to later than 1915. A Georgian ring would have silver to set off the clarity of diamonds, or yellow gold only.

KSW and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted