Featured Help dating an antique ring, please

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by MartinJS, Nov 20, 2020.

1. MartinJS

MartinJS Member

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Late Victorian into Edwardian with those dates, not Georgian.

komokwa likes this.
  3. MartinJS

MartinJS Member

Oh OK... AnyJewelry had said 1840's to 1860s, so now I'm confused again. LOL!

I responded to AnyJewlery with this response after the 1840s-1860s dates were given:

"Cool, so, early Victorian foil-backed rose cut diamond ring imported to Sweden from who the heck knows where:woot: Maybe Norway because of that engraved rose that someone mentioned symbolizes the town of Trondheim, Norway."

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yay!
    Being Continental myself, I really feel the need to point out that the term Victorian only applies to countries under British rule.:pompous:;)
    Lovely ring, but it is later than yours imo.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    komokwa likes this.
  5. MartinJS

MartinJS Member

Why, of course, I'll just call it early 1800's European. :)

6. MartinJS

MartinJS Member

Oh damn, but you had said that because of the 18K mark, it may have been made outside of Europe. Oh boy! hehehe

7. Any Jewelry

Mid-1800s.;) We call it Biedermeier, maybe you can use that as a search term.
    Most of 'outside Europe' wasn't under British rule.;)

The Swede thought it could be Norwegian, btw. I don't know how that fits in with the K mark.
    I do know German makers often accomodated to foreign requirements, so that could be an option too. Germany also uses the term Biedermeier, which is German anyway.:wacky:

komokwa and MartinJS like this.
  8. MartinJS

MartinJS Member

Can't thank you enough for all the help

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

The Biedermeier period is a period when Historic Revival became popular again, which could be why your ring has an older feel. It could also have been made in a rural setting, which could also account for old influences.
    Would be nice to know the country of origin though.

10. MartinJS

MartinJS Member

Interesting. The"Historic Revival" is what makes this ring appear and seem to be older/Georgian. Having stated that it's possible rural origins could also account for how the 3 diamonds on either side of the center diamond are so crude and rough?

11. Any Jewelry

No, diamond cutting wouldn't have been done in rural centres.

Mind you, what I said before is my opinion. Other jewellery collectors on the forum could have another opinion. Without knowing the country of origin, it is all very difficult to say, but antique she is.;)

MartinJS likes this.
  12. MartinJS

MartinJS Member

I wish someone would chime in and agree with your opinion LOL!!!

I just had someone tell me that with regards to the 20 photos I sent them to just "assume the ring is reproduction from the 1900s"

13. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

18K white gold is not whiter than silver,it is only whiter when plated with rhodium.

14. Any Jewelry

Where did I say it was whiter than silver?
    I said 18k white gold would be whiter than the silver on this ring. The quote in your post is correct, your reply isn't, because I compared it specifically to the silver in this ring, which is very grey, like most European ca .800 silver.

Holly, over the last week or so you have been even more negative than usual, and have included personal attacks on other members.
    There are misassumptions in your replies, but you give the impression that other people can't possibly be right in your world, even if they are. Many people have commented to me about your attitude.
    So on behalf of others and myself, I ask you to stop your negativity and personal attacks. It isn't good for the forum.

A positive attitude and positive contributions are always welcome, of course, and I know you can do that.

For reasons of health I will now take a break from your negativity and put you on ignore, but I will hear from others if you have decided to have a more positive input about other people's items and replies.

15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

"The I compared it specifically to the silver in this ring, which is very grey, like most European ca .800 silver." The assumptions have been made by everyone replying to this thread including the OP.

Hundreds of people have been using 800 silver for many years including myself,in the States it is known as reticulation silver.I have worked with hundreds of ounces of "colored" gold for many years,so I do know something about precious metals.

George Chaney and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Yes, we all know your street creds.....& value your knowledgeable opinions.

Just soften your tone, & I'll be first in line to give your posts "likes " a plenty !!!
    ;):)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. George Chaney

George Chaney Well-Known Member

Edit; I apologize, I missed the fact that this was a 4 page thread so I missed I believe a ton of responses.....so if I duplicated or got off topic, I sincerely apologize!!!

White gold was a very new thing at the time frame noted for the date the stamp is indicating and its use in jewelry was initially a very rare thing.

The diamonds in the ring could very well have been repurposed from another older piece of jewelry, which is not uncommon even today. I think using such a new metal someone would probably have chosen to have a more "lustrous" OMC or OEC diamond mounted in a new fangled metal. Unless the stones mounted had significant meaning.

All assumptions of course.... That is the great thing about antique pieces with no story, you can decide what that story could of looked like.

It does help to have the piece in hand. (outside of date codes) Dating it would start with wear, as that alone can tell a lot about a piece. It could simply be a knock off design out of southeast asia (and I believe out of china now as well) where "antique" pieces seem to be reproducing like bunny rabbits.

A closed back is not alone an indication of a piece being antique. I had a custom designed ring made by my jeweler and all of the diamonds & gemstones are closed back bezel set white gold. Quality stones tend to show well regardless of how you mount them.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

That's OK George. When you look just below the title of a thread, you will see the date and the number of pages.:)

George Chaney likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted