Featured Help dating this Japanese oil lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 916Bulldogs123, Jun 16, 2023.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I found this really interesting oil lamp the other day. I think it was what you would call a bracket lamp without the bracket. The burner knob is all Japanese characters.
    The coolest part is the chimney, it has an etched trademark symbol on the top.
    It reads Nippon Sekiyu Kaisha. For "Nippon oil and energy" Company founded in 1888
    and is now called Encos, The largest oil and energy company in Japan.
    I cannot find anything like it or with that trademark. If anyone can read Japanese, I would like to know what it says on the burner knob.
    Has anyone ever come across one of these?
    Mikey
    100_9634.JPG 100_9635.JPG 100_9636.JPG 100_9637.JPG 100_9638.JPG 100_9624.JPG

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

There ya go, Mikey!! Post your clearest image or the one of it, cropped as below, and see if whichever Google translates, can translate it!!!

TRANSLATE KNOB.jpg

916Bulldogs123 and wlwhittier like this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

Thanks Aqui, If I turn the knob and take pics of all the marks with the correct orientation it might just work. Google is picky and won't translate upside down words. Go figure.
    Mikey

Aquitaine and wlwhittier like this.
  4. Aquitaine

@916Bulldogs123, Mikey, Then isn't there someone HERE that CAN translate Japanese??

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

6. Aquitaine

I did too!!! @komokwa, do you know who they are???

7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

That's a real beauty Bull.I'm looking for one just like that to complete my Meiji (or later) oil lamp ! Any search clues ?
    PS-Sorry,not trying to divert the thread.

8. 916Bulldogs123

Like what part? The chimney? The style is for early bracket lamps I think.
    Mikey

9. bosko69

The globe,chimney,burner for this lamp-prob made by your company.Thanks Mikey-sorry again if i intrude,just surprised to see a Japanese oil/kerosene lamp on this forum. Meiji Lamp.jpg MEIJI LAMP Base Rev II.jpg

10. 916Bulldogs123

No need to apologize @bosko69
    That's a very nice lamp!
    Mikey

11. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

Do you think the lamp sat in a base of some kind? I would think that shape of the base would make it easy to knock over.

12. 916Bulldogs123

P
    If you are asking about mine, it would have had a bracket attached to a wall and this would fit into the bowl or strap at the end of the bracket.
    Mikey

13. bosko69

Thanks Mikey,my lamp's a huge chunk of bamboo w/lathed wood base.
    I'm going to investigate 'Nippon Sekiyu Kaisha' ,'Nippon Oil & Energy' & 'Encos' to see if i can find some old company catalogs/sales literature.The logo on your glass chimney's great.

14. 916Bulldogs123

If you find anything out please let me know.
    I have been searching for days and can't find another. I couldn't even find anything else with the
    Logo. Did Nippon gas company make it?
    Advertising piece? Lots of questions lol.
    Mikey

15. bosko69

Definitely will do Mikey.Authentic Japanese lamp parts will make a huge difference if we ever choose to sell.For you great piece-wouldn't it be great to find an antique Japanese ship's lamp gimbal to mount it on,esp a swinging one w/ nautical markings !
    ...there i go dreaming again !
    PS-So far I can't anything on Japanese lamp parts anywhere-somebody's got to specialize in these in Tokyo,Hokkaido,etc.No vintage catalog reprints either.
    Here I type in Victorian Card Receiver Tray made by blah-blah & get a complete 1880's Meridian silver plate catalog online.

16. Aquitaine

Which is why I've been thinking ALL ALONG that Mikey's lamp (EXCEPT for that TALL chimney!!!) looks like it should sit in a 'gimbal' base......to keep it from tipping and keep it upright.......JMHO!!!

17. 916Bulldogs123

@bosko69 is that your lamp?
    I see it on sale at first dibs?
    Mikey

18. bosko69

That's my lamp,but mine needs the chimney/globe upper glass assembly & bottom burner,reservoir,wick unit.There's lots of American & European ones that would prob fit-but i sure would like to find a Japanese unit.
    I think this simple style of lamp would be called 'Mingei' or 'Folk Art/Folk Craft'.
    I've only seen this one & another,thirty years ago in San Francisco.It's just a simple base of turned wood w/ a thick bamboo pillar. to hold the lighting assembly.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted